Chapter 20

Albert bit the nail of his thumb in thought, staring at the blank piece of paper.

Officially, he had two days to finish this and turn it in, and knowing him, he was way behind schedule.

"What are you doing?" Race sat beside Albert at his kitchen table, the smell of his food filling Albert's nose. The redhead smiled.

"That essay for Mr. Harris", Albert sighed, smiling at his date. "I've got two days."

"You didn't finish it?" Race stared at the paper, finding out Albert hadn't even started. "I tuned mine in weeks ago."

"Well, love turns out to be a way harder subject to write about", Albert sighs, picking his pencil up. "What did you write about."

"My favorite animal", Race shrugged, offering a smile. Albert laughed.

"Race, that wasn't the assignment."

"Well, Mr. Harris will love to know that I love koalas."

Albert laughed even harder, watching Race walked back into the kitchen.

———

"We could watch a movie?" Race grabbed the remote and turned on the TV. "What are you in the mood for?"

"Action", Albert said quickly, grabbing a blanket and draping it over him and Race. "Anything."

"Men in Black it is", Race muttered, clicking on the title. He wrapped an arm around Albert as the movie began playing.

There were some things that Race did that still made Albert unable to control his heart. For example, existing. But there was one thing that never failed.

Anytime Race touched him- grabbed his hand, bumped their shoulders, wrapped his arm around him- he felt the world melt in a fiery heat called blush, and he felt himself turning into goo.

Race was rather nervous to do this. He wanted to make Albert comfortable, as comfortable as possible just so he could say three words.

"Um." Albert looked over, his attention off of the movie. Race bit his lip and focused away from Albert.

"What's up?"

"I have a question."

Albert adjusted the way he was sitting, giving his full attention to the blonde. "What is it?"

"Do you", Race swallowed, crossing his arms. "It's a dumb question. You might laugh."

"I promise, I will never laugh unless it's incredibly funny", Albert swore, placing a hand over his heart. "So, what's going on?"

Race took a deep breath, deciding to just go for it. It's like a band-aid; just rip it off. "Are we boyfriends?"

Albert's brows furrow in confusion just as Race's furrow in worry. His stomach was churning in wait, waiting for Albert to- "I thought that was obvious."

Huh? "Really?"

"Yeah", Albert chuckled. "I know we sort of did things backwards, but I didn't know if I was confused or if everything was just right. What I did know, though, is that we are boyfriends."

Race beamed and grabbed Albert's hand. "Boyfriends."

"The best." Albert watched Race for a second, looking at every scar, imperfection, and wrinkle. He ultimately decided Race was the best.

——————

"Hey, Albie", Elmer greeted, quickly being followed Ralph. They walked into the kitchen. "Ralph is taking me to Brooklyn to see Spot. Wanna come?"