Chapter 1-Revisting the Past

Annoying. That is the only word the silver-haired jonin can use to describe the blue-eyed blond sitting before him. It isn't because he is loud, and always fights with one who is supposed to be a part of his team while swooning over the other. No, it is because he finds the Genin rather intriguing with his whiskers etched into his cheeks, and his spirit that never seems to wither away. Kakashi Hatake never found anyone interesting in the least before, only his book could keep his eye until he had first seen the Yondaime's child. The blond spikes made his breath hitch in surprise, but when the blue eyes came into view...he wasn't sure how to react. Naruto is the spitting image of his father with a few attributes from his mother. It had shocked the grieving man to his core. He had come to wonder what kind of person the child of his late teacher would grow into. Will he be clever, calm, and wise like his father? Or will he have the temper, kindness, and loud personality his mother was known for? His curiosity got the best of him at that time; giving him the desire to watch the child. As if it were his duty to look after his teacher's child while everyone else seemed to turn away from him. For awhile, it had been the only thing keeping him sane and away from his thoughts of survivor's guilt. At least until he was unable to do it any longer when his missions became more frequent. The more that time had passed, the less he could look after him, and eventually he forgot about the quiet boy who spends his days all alone. However, when he found out that Naruto was going to be on his team, he was reminded of his previous curiosity. He watched from afar as the team interacted, wondering if there would be more to them than a group of bickering children, and an ugly love triangle.

Over time, their team blossomed and became a somewhat close group that had persevered through their grueling trials. They still have their difficulties due to rivalry, and that silly little love triangle, but they were a team nonetheless. Now, sitting directly in front of him at thirteen years old, Naruto Uzumaki looks at his sensei with eyes expectant and questioning as he waits for the jonin to finish explaining the mission after having stopped for several moments; distracted with his thoughts. He tries to remember, but pushing himself back into his thoughts to figure it out only causes him to become distracted again. Perhaps he could blame it on being the anniversary of Minato's tragic death soon, but he's certainly more distracted than usual.

"Kakashi-sensei?" The man snaps out of his thoughts yet again, his uncovered eye hesitantly tearing away from the space that Naruto inhabits. Glancing in the direction of the voice, his attention shifts to the pink-haired genin known for her knowledgeable prowess on the team. Concern consumes Sakura Haruno's expression as she cautiously watches him, the silence dragging out as the jonin still tries to register what he was originally saying. He needs to get a grip and break whatever hold is on his mind.

"Pardon, what was I saying again?" An arrogant sigh sounds to his farther left, his gaze turning yet again, but to a raven haired teen who has his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes closed as if Kakashi's lapse in memory is giving him a headache. Sasuke Uchiha can often be known not only for his skills and looks among the females, but his arrogant and impatient behavior as well amongst everyone else. Sometimes Kakashi wonders what is so appealing to the kunoichi of the village when it comes to the survivor of the Uchiha clan. He can recall when he was the same way around their age. Angry and arrogant, constantly fighting with Obito over things that seem so pointless now. Every fight feels that way when you lose the chance to have those moments again. What he wouldn't give to hear the young man's petulant replies again, or Rin's sass when berating them for the millionth time. Minato's words of wisdom pleading with him to let go of his anger.

"You okay Kakashi-sensei?" For what feels like the tenth time, he moves his attention yet again, his eye turning back to the main cause of his recent thoughts; a small and apologetic laugh escaping from him. All he can do at this point is nod stiffly and rub the muscles on the back of his neck. He needs to get a grip, and soon.

"Yes, I just lost my train of thought." Kakashi sighs quietly under his mask as he catches Naruto's expression, one which clearly reads that he isn't even a little bit convinced. And of course, even that expression gives him a pang of familiarity. Looking at Naruto only reminds him of his failures, of those he's lost. A time where he was naive to believe he had the world figured out.

"You were in the middle of explaining our mission..." Kakashi drops his arm as he gives another small nod; finally remembering what he was saying before the sting of the past and his regrets distracted him.

"The mission is simple; we will retrieve the item requested for transport and safely deliver it to the owner. If we are lucky, we will avoid any thieves along the way." Sakura raises her hand a moment, Kakashi nodding in her direction before she let her arm fall.

"What if we do run into thieves along the way Kakashi-sensei?" The shinobi rubs his chin in thought as he tries to come up with a reasonable answer.

"We don't have any particular gang of thieves that we need to look out for so my advice is to stay close and be on your guard. With this kind of mission, you have to make decisions as you go based on the situation and your opponents." Naruto gives a thumbs up with a smile, Obito's face flashing over his features before Kakashi is blinking the ghost of his past away.

"Let's get this over with shall we? I would like to return to my books as soon as I am able." Naruto jumps up with a loud "yeah!" before adjusting his headband, Sasuke and Sakura quietly getting up after glaring at the loud genin. With a small chuckle, Kakashi motions for them to follow and begins to walk in the correct direction of their destination. He does his best not to smile when he catches a glimpse of Naruto glancing at the Konoha gate and clenching his fist with a determined smile. Remembering Naruto's dream, he has the gut feeling that maybe one day the idea of Naruto becoming a hokage won't be so silly. He will become stronger than anyone will ever believe and undoubtedly earn the title of hokage, this Kakashi is sure of.
'I suppose it is alright to put my faith in this one...'