Chapter 24-Resolutions and Farewells

I want to thank everyone who has read and waited for the rewrites of the chapters in this story so far. It has been a blast writing it. I think that the next chapter might be a good way to bring things to a happy close for Naruto and Kakashi. But I plan to continue on with Gaara and Sasuke in a new story I will be writing. I have already started it on the side and will release it when I finish writing the final chapter for this story. Thank you all so much for the support and I hope you guys can continue to support future stories. I will also take other pairing suggestions so just message me and I can see about working it out! Again, thank you so much!
Tiny

"I don't know why I thought that would be worse than it was at Ichiraku's." Sighing, the Kage continues to walk, his gaze shifting between the different villagers they pass. A little girl picking a flower, a man and woman laughing together, and a pair of kids chasing after each other or dodging the adults. They all just look so peaceful, without a single care in the world despite what has been happening among the village.

"Gaara...are you listening?"

"Not really..." He can hear the jonin sighing behind him as they walk, the raven-haired male groaning in frustration. He probably doesn't understand why Gaara is so...strange right now. Tomorrow he will go home. Tomorrow he returns to his Kage work and leaves these moments with Sasuke behind. Everything just returns to how it was. The monotony of the same things every day.

"I apologize, my mind is far away right now." He stops and turns so that he is facing him, Sasuke's expression looking surprisingly less irritated than he thought. He almost seems thoughtful, like he might have an idea of what is going on in his brain.

"Is it about the meeting?" Giving a faint smile, Gaara shakes his head as he crosses his arms over his chest and sighs. Maybe he doesn't know just yet.

"For being a Kage, I was immature in how I approached Kakashi and Naruto at Ichiraku's, and I feel like I have burdened you a lot during my stay." Sasuke, who is listening silently, lifts a hand to run his fingers through his own hair.

"Don't worry about that. It isn't like you have been a bad guest. You can feel a little bit more at ease if you want to...I won't snap at you so much......maybe..." The kage chuckles from the teasing tone of the jonin's voice, his demeanor relaxing a little more. He will miss this, the way he can feel like himself around the Uchiha without judgement.

"Sasuke...this may be too much to ask, but would it be possible to have some sake tonight as a send off? I may not be back in the village for awhile and I found that the sake here is quite nice." Sasuke looks at him with an expression of understanding. He must get what he means, at least he hopes he does.

"Sure. Just don't drink so much that you puke." Nodding, Gaara gives another smile as he walks with more excitement now, his pace quickening in the direction of the Uchiha home.

"I have the wages to purchase some if needed."

"Don't bother. I have some at home already, you can just drink it since I don't really drink that often nor do I have people over." Gaara nods, his hand that was extending to retrieve his coin purse, now moving back to his side.

"I want to thank you again for your patronage. You probably had better things to do than escort me around the village." His gaze turns to Sasuke to study the man's expression, his ears being dusted with a light pink shade when he finds the man already looking at him. Quickly, he looks straight again, his ears becoming warmer as he feels Sasuke's arm brush against his own.

"We should stop by the market before we head to my home. I want to get some ingredients to give you a meal to go with the sake." Before he can get too far towards the Uchiha's home, he feels Sasuke's hand grabbing his to lead him away. It's definitely not something the kage is used to since people aren't often so casual around him. It's hard to forget who he used to be as an angry and bitter preteen he supposed.