Chapter VII: A Doctors Duty

1347, Canterbury, England

Ok think Warin think what do I have do. I pounded that into my head as I tried to wake the poor woman up. I turned my head to see little Sibyl blank faced, she was putting on a brave face. I reached into my medical bag and pulled out a rag. The only chance I had was to wake her up, I opened a bottle and poured it onto the rag. I held the rag over her face to where she had to inhale the fumes.

"Hugggghh" she inhaled heavily and she awoke with a start. "Momma!" Sibyl yelled. It was the first positive emotion I had seen this girl express. The woman started to speak but I shooshed he. " You need to take this first." I poured my herbs into a spoon and fed them to her. "These will help the pain and slow the symptoms." She swallowed and managed to squeak out a "Thank you." "It's all in the job Madame." I replied.

  I settled her down and went into the other room with Sibyl. "So Sibyl..." "What Mister Doctor." " Well how about you tell me about you and your mother." Sibyl sat in silence for a moment and finally started to speak, "Mother has been sick for  about a week I think." Hmm strange most people wouldn't make it a week. "Where's your father?" I asked "Momma said he went to fight but he didn't come back." "Oh I see." I feel for this girl. "I lost my parents too Sibyl." We looked at each other and just sat for a while until we heard her mother stirring in the other room.