SIXTEEN

All the ball, Lillie danced with her brother, Keeton. He was the only one who truly understood what the girl was feeling. And really the only brother who she can turn to for anything that bothered her. 

"Is something the matter Sister?" Keeton asked as they danced.

"Do you believe in love?"

Keeton looked at his sister. "Why do you ask?"

"Jasper does not believe in it and sometimes I think maybe I do not either."

"Sister, you are nothing like our older Brother. He is a brooding old latch who cannot seem to think for other people's feelings."

"I do not love Lord Kingsley." Lillie suddenly admitted.

"Do you think you ever will?" Keeton asked.

Lillie sighed, truly thinking about it. "I do not know."

"And Lord Bridgerton?" Keeton suddenly asked which got the girl to be confused. Why was he suddenly bringing up her best friend? 

"What about him?" Lillie asked. 

"Can you ever love Lord Bridgerton as more than a friend?" Keeton asked. He can see the way they act around each other. It was what love was in his eyes. Something we wished he had with someone. 

Don't get the boy wrong. He has many girls begging him to propose. But he didn't want to rush into finding his wife. He will simply marry because he truly loves the girl, not because he's desperate and needs a wife. 

"I love him as a friend." Lillie nodded. "But is there a difference between love for a friend and love for a husband?"

"I believe you want to find a husband that is your friend as well. You want someone to not only provide you security and protection but also someone you can simply talk to when you have concerns. That is Lord Bridgerton."

Lillie shook her head. "Anthony will never propose to me."

Keeton chuckled. "You are just as clueless as he is."

"I am not." 

"Time will tell at how much you care for one another. And it is more than just friends."

The rest of the ball, Lillie thought about what her brother said. Did she see herself marrying Anthony? She has never thought about it before.