Chapter 29

Inwardly, Della was cursing her attackers yet again. For some unknown reason she had a strong aversion to healers. More precisely Della had a strong aversion to healers examining her. She suspected that it was likely because it felt like a test of some sort and that she was bound to fail , obviously she knew that wasn't the case but it didn't feel that way. And now here she was for the millionth time today a healer was pressing on her throat channeling magic through her body checking her recovery.

"Take a deep breath in please," the healer asked. The woman leaned forward bringing her ear closer to her chest. Della fought the urge to tense; she reminded herself a human won't be able to hear and would need to come closer. Della inhaled a deep breath as instructed and released it slowly. After repeating that four more times the healer stood up.

"Well, all seems to be well. Perhaps refrain from exerting yourself for another day or so just to be safe," the woman instructed, before gathering her bags and leaving.

Della tied the front of her short, simple night gown she was wearing closed. It was closer to an overly thin robe that had made it easier for the healers to examine her these past couple days. She looked up at Lysandra sitting at the table in the corner of the room. "Am I being excessive if I ask you to bring me clothes from my room before walking me back to my room?" Della asked half jokingly, half seriously.

"A little bit, but I don't know what you're worried about. You have great breasts and lovely legs."

Della scowled, "My breasts are too small to be great."

Lysandra gave her a knowing smile, "Trust me large breasts are not as glorious as we are lead to believe."

"I'd like to confirm that for myself," Della mumbled to herself.

"But don't worry, I anticipated that you'd be bashful and brought one with me." Said Lysandra holding up a thick long robe that she had tucked away in the 'care-basket' she had brought Della this morning. Della had made it as far as the treats sitting at the top of the basket, searching no further, much to Lysandra's exasperation and amusement.

Della shot her a bemused scowl. Lysandra smiled at her, "no need to thank me," she said waving her hand and stepped closer helping slip the longer, thicker robe over Della's shoulders.

—-

"They really did increase the guards." Della observed as she walked with Lysandra back to her room.

Lysandra nodded in agreement. "There's even more in the public parts of the castle."

"Does the public know about what happened?"

"Yes but not the details. The mercenaries couldn't be trusted to keep the incident a secret."

It was smart of Aelin and her father to announce it then. Not to mention trust with the staff was also in question. Della knew her family would want to give people the benefit of the doubt. But something like that could also cost them their lives. It was balancing act for certain.

Upon arrival Della's room was toasty and familiar. She hadn't realized how much she'd grown to love the space.

"I have to say I am shocked there's not a guard posted inside my room."

Lysandra snorted. "That's not from a lack of trying. Aelin managed to dissuade Rowan, but don't be surprised if you catch Fenrys sleeping outside your door." Della had to bite her lip to hide her smile.

Wait, no. Stop that Della. She thought to herself.

Fenrys guarding her meant nothing really. He was loyal to her father and was also a Fae male and would protect her even if she wasn't her.