Chapter Four

The following week, I followed my friends, Sharon and Rachel to the cafeteria when they decided to get lunch to avoid Taofeek's drama I encountered with him the previous week. I usually don't enjoy eating outside of the home and always opt-out anytime my friends decide to get lunch but I had been avoiding being alone after the incident as Taofeek's coming back is inevitable being the notorious person he is.
We finished eating and decided to wait for a little while at the cafeteria before going to our next class.

"Ehn ehn, Rachel I won't be around this weekend o. I'll be spending the weekend at Mide's" Sharon said

"Ohh that's cool, I also wanted to go to Nathan's place but he said he'll be going over to his parents on Friday and won't be back till Monday morning. My weekend is about to get boring oh God!" Rachel exclaimed.

"But Valentine's day is this weekend now" Sharon added

"I know, His Dad is unwell so he wants to visit".

"Rachel, why don't you come over to my place this weekend. We can study together you know exams are fast approaching, or what do you think?" I asked.

"Jane, why does your life revolves so much around your books? Try to be social sometimes I mean, you don't even have a boyfriend and we've been trying to help your life. Rachel, say something now"

"That's true Jane. You are twenty and you've never had a boyfriend in your entire life. Are you scared of being around boys or what?" Rachel asked.

"Me? Scared? No now. Why would I be scared of having a boyfriend? I mean I'm just twenty and it's not even a big deal. I'll have a boyfriend when the time is right. We'll date long enough, get married, have children, grow old together, and all of that," I said to my friends smiling sheepishly.

"What?" I asked studying my friend's faces as they give me a long stare of disbelief without uttering a word.

Sharon shakes her head and replies "I can't believe you just said that now"

"Jane you fantasy a lot and it's affecting your thinking already. You need to return to reality o" Rachel added.

"Guys it's my life and I'm allowed to live it the way I want. Just let me be abeg"

"See who we are trying to help. God help your life o", Sharon said.

" Amen thank you. God will help your life too, it's just Wednesday and you are already thinking about your Valentine's day with mide. I replied cringing jokingly.

"You guys it's enough. Sharon don't worry she'll change when reality hits her", she looks at her wristwatch on her wrist "it's almost time for our next class let's get going"

We all stood up and left the cafeteria.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Later that night, while studying in my room, I start to get distracted, and flashbacks from the conversations I had with my friends at the cafeteria began to reappear in my head. I tried to snap it out of my head and concentrate on reading my book but it wasn't working.

"Okay fine I admit my life is a little bit boring and maybe a boyfriend wouldn't be a bad idea," Realizing I said that aloud, I looked around to confirm I was alone and no one heard me and heaved a loud sigh after.

"What is even wrong with me. Jane, I need you to focus. You know you do not need any guy in your life right now. You just need to concentrate on getting excellent grades because you are smart, you are beautiful and you are enough. You do not need to get yourself worked up because the right guy will come later in life at the perfect time". I said this to myself. Well, I like to think words of affirmation help me a lot when I worry but it wasn't helping in this case.
I remembered a guy from my school who I met a while back and had messaged me on Twitter which I completely ignored. I picked up my phone and went straight into his dm (direct message) on Twitter to reply to his old message.

"Hi good evening" I texted and he replied almost immediately after the message was delivered.

"Hey you, I thought you were never gonna reply to my message" Alex replied

"Actually, I wasn't but I changed my mind"

"Ohh I guess I'm lucky then"

"I smiled and responded "You could say so"

The conversation went on for over two hours before I retired to bed.

I woke up the next morning feeling a bit tired because I had slept late the previous night. I started regretting why I had to stay up late to talk to a boy but on second thought maybe staying up late was worth it because I enjoyed every bit of the conversation I had with Alex. We exchanged phone numbers the following day and moved our conversation to WhatsApp.

"Knock Knock"

"Yeah who is it"

"It's me sister Jane" Stephen replied

"Come in". I said

Stephen entered my room holding a mathematics textbook, an exercise book, and a pen while I was in a conversation with Alex on the phone.

"Sister Jane I need your help with my assignment"

"Stephen I'm busy come back later," I said focusing all my attention on my phone

"But you are not. You are just pressing your phone" He replied

"Yeah, I know that, pressing my phone means busy can you leave me alone already"

"Just help me with this one and I won't disturb you again, please," He said making his way to my bed.

"But don't they teach you in school before giving you assignments to do?"

"They do but they give us the difficult ones to do as assignments. Help me I need to submit it tomorrow"

"Okay fine. Give me a minute" I said concentrating and smiling at my phone screen

"Hmm sister Jane who is making you smile at your phone," He said trying to peep through my phone

"You better mind your business before I change my mind"

"Sorry I'll mind my business," He said smiling

"Better" I replied, pretending to be angry.

I sent a message to Alex saying "Let me text you later I'm kinda busy right now" and he replied almost immediately saying "okay I'll be waiting" I smiled at his reply and dropped my phone.

"Okay let me take a look at your assignment".