Chapter Seven

I didn't take Sharon's words seriously when she told me she and Rachel would be coming over to my place on Friday after lectures to pick an outfit to help prepare for my supposed date with Alex.

This was not the first time she made plans to come over to my place to hang out and would cancel last minute just to spend the weekend at her boyfriend's place or attend an outdoor function with him. I wouldn't say I took offense to any of her shenanigans because it was favorable on my part as I prefer to be by myself for the most part, especially on weekends.

Sometimes, I find it boring but I have become accustomed to it. My routine for the weekend was to sleep, eat, watch k-drama series, study, and sleep again. So when Sharon reminded me in class that morning that she and Rachel would be heading over to my place after classes to prepare for my date, I was surprised because I thought we were just joking around plus I had planned to cancel on Alex and make up some lame excuses through a text later that day.

"I didn't know you took this whole thing seriously. I thought Mide was way too important for you to make time out for your friends" I said to Sharon trying to guilt trip my way out of it

"See ehn whatever you are trying to do won't work. I already told Mide I won't be coming over to his place this weekend. So, I have all the time for you my lady" Sharon responded teasing me with an evil grin on her face.

"Nawa oh. But hold on, remember you guys mentioned wanting to come over to my place this weekend to study. I can just tell Alex that I am hanging out with my friends instead. That will do, right?"

"Jane don't worry, we'll come on Sunday" Rachel immediately cuts in seeing how I was trying so hard to cancel the date.

I felt things were moving fast between me and Alex even though the only thing we did was communicate through WhatsApp or speak on the phone a few times. He had insisted on meeting me in school but I always came up with an excuse or the other.
We finally agreed to go out on a date even though it was his idea, I couldn't say no and I had finally decided to face reality and speak to him face to face.

"Phewww, this is so nerve-wracking," I said to myself feeling stressed".

"Nerve-wracking ke, for just a date? You are being so overly dramatic."

" I think I'm handling this quite well for someone who has never been on a date," I remarked attempting to sound confident

"Jane, I think you are just being nervous which is understandable, but I know you'll get past it besides, you are the one who said you guys talk very well on the phone so I don't think there will be much difference in a person".

" Awwwn, thanks for the advice Rachel, you are so sweet"

"You know I gat you" Rachel replied smiling

"Wow, so it's only Rachel that deserves a thank you. What about me? Didn't I offer any good advice, or am I missing something here?" Sharon inquired sarcastically

"Try to be nice first, then maybe I'll consider it"

"I'm ditching my boyfriend for you this weekend. What is the meaning of " Nice" again?

"Nice try Sharon, and I'm sure we'll be hearing that a hundred more times this weekend. You ditch us for your boyfriend almost every time, so maybe you should just consider this one as a peace offering between us. Or what do you think Rachel?"

Rachel replied nodding her head in agreement "Hmm hmm I agree"

"Whatever" Sharon responded rolling her eyes as I and Rachel gave each other high-fives like we won a lottery.

We finished classes for the day and Sharon, Rachel, and I heads to my place. I arrived home early with my friends making Aunty Joke asks us a series of questions because she suspected we had missed class, but I was able to clear her doubt by explaining that I usually go to Sharon and Rachel's place after classes on Friday and that the fact that they came over to my place it explains why I am home by this time.

"Ohh okay I think say Sharon don dey teach you make you dey run away from class nii" Aunty Joke said

"Haba, Aunty Joke I thought you liked me oh, or do you think I'm a bad person" Sharon confronted her

"No now, you know say Rachel gentle and na only the two of you be her only friend wey I know"

"Ah, Aunty Joke that is not how you know a good friend. You know my friends are not like that" I said trying to defend Sharon

" I know oya mabinu oko mii" Aunty Joke said to Sharon hugging her and using her facial expression to make Sharon smile

"Aunty Joke it's fine I know you mean well" Sharon hugged her back in response making Rachel and I exchange eye gestures with each other.

"Aunty Joke we'll be upstairs in my room in case you need me," I said as we take the stairs to the parlor leading to the rooms.

"Okay oh," She replied.

Sharon brought her portable blue tooth mp3 speaker along with her so she could play music as I try out different outfits. According to her, this would make the experience more fun and that was how it was done in movies. I wasn't up with the whole concept because I thought she was simply trying to be loud. After much persuasion from her and seeing that she enjoys getting away with anything, I eventually gave in.

"Okay fine, play your music but I won't defend you again when Aunty Joke thinks you are a bad influence on me," I said trying to guilt-trip her

"Aunty Joke loves me, so I don't need you to defend me" She smirked

"Ahh you wish" I replied sarcastically

"You two shouldn't start with your unending argument abeg " Rachel cuts in.

Please guys don't forget to vote and leave your comments too💝💖🤗