Chapter Eleven

Our mid-semester test, which lasted three days, went smoothly. To study for the test, Sharon and Rachel spent the night at my house during that time. We made it a habit to read together when we had tests and exams because that way, we could help each other study better and while I thought it wasn't the best idea for me initially since I was used to studying independently in secondary school, I later agreed to the idea when I saw that it didn't prevent me from performing well in my exams and it also assisted my friends in doing well in their studies.

Additionally, Alex and I had officially started dating which felt like a sudden turn in my life. I had stopped being the girl that would go home immediately after classes or head to the library to make research whenever I was having difficulty in a course. Though we didn't see each other often in school as we had different departments building that was far from one another, also, Alex was in his final year and was busy with his final year projects and school work but we communicated every day on the phone and I visited him at his apartment on weekends or any day of the week that we had spare time.

It was a beautiful moment in my life and I was relishing every second of it.

"What if everything was a lie?" I had thought about it once while I was studying in my room that evening because everything about Alex and I felt surreal and our relationship was the kind of perfect love you'd see only in movies. I had immediately brushed that thought off my mind, after all, true love did exist, and perhaps the universe was gracious enough to grant me what I have always desired.

Alex was a popular jingo, especially in his faculty. I even became friends with his best friend Kevin and some of his coursemates which felt nice, I mean, Sharon and Rachel were the only people I had considered my friends since I entered university, aside from my coursemate Doyin who had always claimed I was her friend and would do anything possible to notice her, but since Sharon thought she was fake and was only trying to get close to me for her advantages, I hadn't taken her seriously.

"Guys, I have to go now," I remarked as I got up from my seat. It was a Thursday afternoon and we had just finished lectures for the day.

"Where are you going to?" Rachel asked

"I told you people that I am going to Alex's place after lectures today. Remember?" I responded

"Haba but there's still time. Besides, I thought you were coming over to our place. You said it yourself that it's been a while since you visited" Sharon added.

"Yes I know, but it's Thursday and I have seen Alex just once this week. I see you guys every day so oh"

"So what? Wow, you are abandoning us for a boy you just met. Nawa oh" Sharon smirked and shook her head

"Sharon you leave us almost every time for Mide, so what are you trying to say?"

"No, you know that is not true"

"Sharon, I agree with Jane. You do that sometimes. Yet, Jane, I think Sharon has a point. Alex is someone you just met and you know guys come and go. We love you and it wouldn't be nice losing you because you don't get to spend time with us again" Rachel explained"

"I'm trying to understand you guys oh. One minute you tell me that my life is so uninteresting and I need a boyfriend, thanks to you I get one, and now you are complaining that I spend a lot of time with him. You know, if you two truly loved me as much as you said, you'd support all of my choices and actions. When you were with your boyfriends or when I was alone, I never once voiced a complaint; why can't you guys do the same? It's like you can't even stand me being happy and that is just so outrageous " I reacted angrily.

"Jane, you are being unreasonable right now; this is so unnecessary" Sharon retorted.

"Whatever, I'm going anyway. I am not going to remain here and listen to your bullshit" I stated leaving my friends behind

"Hey, are you home yet?" I spoke as Alex answered the call

"Yes babe, I got home not long ago" He replied

"Okay, I'm on my way"

"Alright. See you soon"

I hung up the call as I dragged my legs lazily to the school's campus to get a cab.

"Maybe I shouldn't have reacted the way I did to my friends," I pondered to myself. But on second thought I expected them to understand me. It wasn't as though I was dismissing or ignoring them. We see ourselves during the course of the week and now they are jealous that I have a life outside of just being in school or at home. After all, this was what they always wanted for me so they'll be fine at the end of the day.

When I got to Alex's house, I went through the gate and approached his apartment door.

As I entered the room, he got up to give me a hug and gave me a peck on the lips, which I returned

"What happened to you? " He enquired after observing how I scrunched up my face

"I think I might have just lost my friends" I sighed as I sat on the bed

"Lost? How?" He asked perplexed by what I had just said while seated next to me

"They said I don't spend enough time  with them anymore because of you, and I think I may have gone overboard with my response to them."

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Come here" He said while opening his arms as I snuggled up to him.

"Do you think I'm a bad friend?"

"I do not think you're a bad friend. Maybe they are not just accustomed to you being unavailable but give them time, they'll get used to it, and let them know you did not mean what you said to them. Don't worry they'll come around since they care about you just as much as you do.

"Thank you, you always have the right words to say" I replied lifting my head to meet his eyes.

"It's nothing, you mean so much to me," He said as he kissed my forehead

I felt butterflies in my stomach as those words sank in. I smiled to myself wondering how I got so lucky

At night, as I was lying in bed, I started reflecting on everything that had happened today. I couldn't afford to lose my best friends as they'd been there for me since day one but I also loved whatever I had going on with Alex.

Whatever I was feeling at the moment was overwhelming and I didn't like it. I was starting to miss my old life, but is it worthwhile going back? I decided to take Alex's advice by apologizing to my friends via text. Hopefully, they could understand where I was coming from because I don't know what I would do without them.

Well, maybe their response would determine the outcome of our friendship.

Please guys vote and leave your comments too. I'd really appreciate 🤗💝💖