Chapter 5: It Gets Interesting

So I, surprisingly, didn't drink nearly as much as I thought I would, but I thought it was all I needed to go see Mary. I wasn't slurring my words yet, but I was on the brink. I checked the time: 5:37. The perfect time. I hopped in the Impala with nothing to lose, and raced to Mary's.
Now, Mary has a huge yard, so I pulled up, and parked my car in the grass. I heard the screen door slam as Mary marched out onto the porch. She was dressed up, but it wasn't for me. She had to have canceled on me to go out with someone else. Her long, flowing dress waved in the summer breeze. I could hear Springsteen playing in the house. The same song I'd heard this morning, but I still couldn't put a name to it.
"What do you want, Scott?" She screamed. I could tell she'd been crying.
"Look, hear me out, ok? Look, I can tell, you're scared. Maybe we ain't that young anymore? Just show a little faith, Mary! There's magic out there, in the night. Look, you ain't a beauty, but you're more than alright, and that's more than alright with me. Now, come on. I mean, if you want." She blushed, and said, "Give me a sec." She went back in the house, turned off the radio, and a minute or two later, she came back out.
"Let's go," she said.
"I'm glad you finally see things my way," I said.