Chapter 8: On The Run

I got in the car and drove off. I didn't go home. I didn't go to Mary's house. I just drove. I left Johnny, dead on the sidewalk, and everybody else on E Street, wondering what had just happened.
First, I went to the bank and got all my money out of my account. Mary did the same. Together, we had $54,675.96. Not enough for a fresh start, but enough to make it until this was all cleared up.
Then, I stopped at the auto parts store on the edge of town and asked how I could fix the windshield. They said they, luckily, had a replacement. So they put it in, and about 30 minutes later, we had a new windshield, a full tank of gas, and a license plate cover. Why did I buy a license plate cover? So I could crack it, to mask my license plate if people started looking for us. I paid the register man in cash, so we couldn't be traced. Then I drove. I drove until about 3 in the morning. By then, Mary was already asleep. I turned on the radio, not loud, but just loud enough for me to hear the song that was on. Springsteen. The same song I'd heard at Mary's house. I still couldn't put a name to it to save my life.
"Scott, what's going to happen to us?" She asked. It startled me, because I thought she was out cold.
"I don't know, but I do know one thing. We're gonna be just fine." I said, staring into her eyes. They were a deep blue, a blue you could get lost in. I thought her eyes were the most beautiful thing on her, the way they shimmered in the moonlight was just gorgeous.
"You promise?" She asked, her eyes full of fear.
"I promise."