C.9

he closed his eyes waiting for the impact— none came. nothing.

he opened his eyes and at the very moment, he saw the red string of faith. the time felt like it was slowed down as he was hanging, as someone was holding onto him for dear life. his pinky finger was burning. signifying the thread that was connecting to the person who's holding him.

"why" he asked. "let me go, you don't have to do this. it won't work. the rain will make it harder" he stuttered the words out. the girl however, didn't care. she was desperate. she was panicking and was struggling.

"i will not give up. not on you" she said despite her struggles. jaemin was definitely heavier than her. why. "it's no use.. i'm useless and i should just die instead. don't waste your time on me" jaemin muttered as he was on the verge of giving up.

she heard something break, her head turned towards the fence, the screw was loose and it'll break. she couldn't save him. worst, she would also die here. talk about being a 'hero'.

"fuck! no don't give up on me. you'll live! you won't die, not on my watch" she groaned as her heart was beating really fast.

she wouldn't let the same thing happen again. not when she could save him. not when she can change how things can be. the same thing will never happen again, not when she's here.

"haewon, i'm sorry. i loved you" the man said giving her his sincere smile. her favourite smile. the smile that has been with her through thick and thin. he was her everything. and he left as he let go of the only thing that was keeping his balance.

"no!"

haewon snapped back to reality. brushing off the distant memory that she has always wanted to bury.

she could feel him slipping through her hold, she held her breath and grunted. the rain ain't helping and this is the worst timing ever. her vision was blurry because of the rain, her hands were slippery. maybe if she just let him go.

no.

jaemin was confused. why was she even bothered to save him. he stole a glance downwards and he could've sworn his heart almost jumped out of his chest. he was scared.

maybe he still wanted to live?

haewon groaned, feeling her chest tightened, the electricity she's feeling on her pinky fingers going through her body. grasping to her last strength, her last hope. she pulled him back up, right before the fence fell.

she lost her balance and fell butt first as he fell next to her. haewon gasped for air because she was holding her breath all the time. her hands were shaking, her lips trembled. she did it. she saved someone that she could save.

"i.."

"i don't know the reason why you wanted to do that but.." she trails off when her eyes met with his. different set of eyes, one cerulean one dark brown. just like hers. the stinging electricity coming from her finger caught her attention. that's when she saw it.

the red string of faith.

her eyes followed the string until it ended with him. the person she just saved. her head throbbed just by looking at him. why does he looked familiar?
the back of her cerulean eyes were throbbing. her hand went to cover it as she winced in pain, the guy doing the same thing.

that's when it all came down altogether. the dream, the first dream she had with him. the concrete building, looks very much like this. the memory follows to another dream, in the garden. in the sea of dandelions.

"my rose..?" he was the first one to speak. his eyes widened as their eyes met once again. she felt like the world stopped. only both of them were there. in their own space, in their own time. she doesn't know what to say. what to feel.

the man she saved, was the man in her dreams. the man who she came to like. the man who she thought wasn't real. "you—" before she could say anything she felt warmth all over her body as he pulled her in an embrace.

haewon didn't know what to react, what to do and what to feel. the rain stopped miraculously as if knowing about their meeting. giving light on both of them. she wrapped her arms around him as he buried his face in her neck.

"you're real" she breathed. "and you're my—"

"—soulmate" he cuts her off feeling all happy suddenly. he remembered her. the girl he wished to see even before he tried to kill himself. it feels like all the bad things that had happened to him disappeared, for that moment. the moment with her.

"soulmate" she muttered under her breath still not believing it. the man he saved was her soulmate. if he had died, he could've been replaced. by who? jeno? renjun? someone she doesn't know?

the rules of the world. when one soulmate dies, they will be replaced. or worst, died along with the other.

she felt warmth in his embrace, loving it already. was it too fast? she doesn't know. the warmth left eventually when he pulled away both his hands on her shoulder as he studies her feature. "of course, the signs. the eyes, the dream visits" he said connecting the dots that even four year old kids would already know.

she was a fool for not thinking about these kind of things in the slightest. the chance of them being a soulmate. the visions that she has was to bring her here and to save him.

"i owe you my life—" the words made her eyes widened in horror. she quickly shook her head. "don't owe your life to me, please" she said trying not to stutter.

"don't owe anything to me" haewon's head dropped down. he tilted his head confused but he didn't questioned her. a story that she couldn't bring herself to tell.

"your soul and mind and heart will be mine, and so do my soul and mind and heart that are yours to keep" he intertwined their pinky fingers together as he said those promise words. the words that holds like an oath for soulmates. that'll tie them together for life. till death tear them apart.

haewon smiled and repeated the same words back to him. the red string of faith vanished through thin air showing that it's done. she finally meet her soulmate, who she thought doesn't exists at first. just a moment ago she was feeling down, devastated that the dream wasn't real.

it's real now.

"you do know that we tied ourselves together but not knowing each other's names" haewon said with a small smile she usually does. he chuckled and nodded his head, what she said was true.

"jaemin" he said and she lifted her left brow. "the name's na jaemin, my rose" he grinned extending his arms out to shake hers. she tilted her head and laughed.
"baek haewon" she grabbed his hands but quickly pulled away when she felt waves of electricity going inside her body.

"god i won't be able to get used to these things" haewon said and winced. jaemin's smile faded when he remembered something.

"haewon.."

"hm?" she looked up and saw jaemin's grim look which caused her to become serious.