Chapter 2

Being back was nothing like I had expected. The people had changed, the relationships between the courts had seemed to have changed as well, but I couldn't decide if it was better or worse. There was too much change for an eternity.

I had left the high lord of the night court to speak with Drakon and Miryam. The topic and stories they were going to talk about wasn't of interest. Being outside with the moon and the night sky was more tempting than sitting in a tent and nodding off. On the other hand, it was rather boring to sit on the ground staring up at the stars. If it hadn't been for my injury, I would have liked to feel the breeze brush against my skin and take in everything in another perspective. Then it hit me, I could climb up in a tree to be closer to the skies, and not many would come out there anyway. I got up from my seat and went over to the biggest tree I could see and started climbing, pulling my wings close to my body to prevent branched brushing against the injury. Once I was high enough, I sat on one of the branches and looked up at the night sky in admiration.

"You shouldn't be up here."

Even if I knew who it was, I decided to ignore him. I hadn't talked to him in years, and the stars seemed so much more interesting after the battle. Not that I wouldn't acknowledge that he was there, but I figured he was smart enough to know that I had noticed him.

"Aaliz, are you deaf?"

He was right in front of me. I turned to face him and leaned back on my hand. He looked exactly like he had before I had left, with some more scars. I opened my mouth but felt my hand slip. For a moment, I thought I was going to fall to my death, but he grabbed my shoulders and steadied me on the branch. The look on his face was easy to read; he was disappointed that I had managed to not pay attention to what I was doing. I looked over at his wings and tried to remember if I had seen him during the battle. He seemed to be waiting for a response. The shadows danced around his shoulders, expecting something to happen. They were like small puppies following their leader. His hands let go of mine and I watched him climb down with a sigh. The reason for his little visit was still a mystery.

"Are you going to be at the meeting tomorrow?" I asked, despite knowing the answer. He had given Rhysand his loyalty and wouldn't break it, so if his high lord wanted him there, he would be there. No matter how boring it would become.

"Are you?" he asked, looking up at me.

"That depends."

Azriel rose an eyebrow, crossing his arms over his chest, "like what?"

"If it's fun or not," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"It's a meeting, Aaliz. It's not supposed to be fun."

"Well, then I'm not going. I don't want to just sit there and feel out of place like every other meeting I was on before I left. And nothing you can say can change that."

His expression softened slightly, no longer the feared shadowsinger that most people knew about. He looked like the boy he had once been, so long ago. Whatever went through his head, it made him seem so much younger. I climbed down from the tree and brushed dirt off my shirt.

"We came here to help with the war, and that's what we did. When Drakon and Miryam have plans to return back to Catrea, I am going to be on that boat. Even I have to say it's nice to see you, Cassian, Rhysand, and everyone else I know is still alive and living. But this isn't my home, and it will never be. Amarantha made sure of that."

I had to get back to the camp before Miryam sent out a search party for me, even if I was quite sure that Rhysand had already told her about Azriel giving me a small visit. Azriel didn't move as I walked past him and headed back into the woods, heading towards the cries from the injured. It was great that he didn't follow after me. The feelings I once had for him was still a small flicker of a flame inside, and I didn't want more heartache. Catrea was my new home, I didn't need Prythian or the people in it. Drakon, Miryam, and Nephelle had become my new family. Nothing could destroy that; I didn't want anyone to destroy that.