Chapter 3

Azriel stayed by my side for some reason. For some reason, he had winnowed us to the spring court instead of back to the dawn court. He just sat there while I was laying on the grass, looking at the skies and drink the tea that he had winnowed here from the kitchen. Even though he was there just because Rhysand had sent him after me, I still enjoyed the company. If it had been Cassian that had been sent after me, I would not get a peace of mind. He would ask any questions that he could think about. The silence was so much more welcoming than Cassian's continuous chatting. And just laying in the grass, feeling the breeze against my skin was calming my nerves. Until I could no longer feel his presence. Like always, he just disappeared, leaving me behind. I closed my eyes and sighed.

"Are they really worth your time?"

I stretched out my hands but was only met by flowers. That voice was starting to annoy me, I never seemed to figure where it came from or who it was that was speaking. It had been there for years, pushing on my buttons. Yet, it was familiar in a way.

"I didn't expect anyone to be out here, especially alone."

His golden hair was the first thing that caught my eye as I opened them. Then it was his eyes, before I noticed the smirk he had on his face. He seemed to enjoy hovering over me, but I would not give him the satisfaction of fear. I rolled my eyes at him and turned to lay on my side, closing my eyes again. Now it made sense as to why Azriel had disappeared without an explanation. Either he could sense Tamlin approaching, or Rhysand actually needed him. Both of them were likely, but the second one the most. Why would he leave me here if he knew I couldn't stand Tamlin?

"Don't be such a baby, Aaliz. We've known each other for a very long time."

I didn't know where he found the audacity to talk to me like that after the mess he had made with the whole of Prythian in the first place. Tamlin took a step back as I got up from the ground, tilting my head slightly. He shrugged slightly before he turned to walk away. It reminded me of when we were younger, but that child was long gone. The high lord stopped three feet away and disappeared into thin air. I barely sensed him behind me before I felt a light touch to my wings, making me shudder.

"Your wings are still your weak spot."

He was just toying with me, like a game of cat and mouse. I turned around and stared at him, but he just disappeared yet again. This time I wasn't going to look for him. I shook my head and started walking in the direction of the summer court. At least Tarquin wouldn't be a pain in the ass if I just appeared on his door.

"Where are you going? Aren't you feeling welcome here, Aaliz?" he whispered into my ear.

I brushed my hand up my thigh, unhooked the dagger from its sheath before spinning around, the blade dangerously close to the high lord's throat. He seemed shocked by my sudden action; he even raised his hands up in defeat.

"Feeling welcome? You're trying to play a game of cat and mouse with me, Tamlin. I'm not easily moved, not like the Archeron sisters. And I know what your stupid little plan ended up doing. You're out of your mind if you think for one second-"

I noticed how his eyes darkened and how the atmosphere changed. With one strike, I was sent flying backwards. The pain was almost unbearable as I hit a tree, front first. I laid on the ground, a hand draped around my stomach as I glanced up at him through my hair. Tamlin was running towards me, his lips moving, and his whole act had changed. He seemed disappointed of what had just happened.

"Aaliz, I'm-"

"He meant to kill you!"

Shadows appeared, filled my vision. But it wasn't Azriel that had returned to bring me back. Feyre was standing right in front of me, a hand raised to the high lord. A simple warning to not get any closer. She looked down at me, taking in the situation before she looked back up at Tamlin. I could see the shadows getting more aggressive as she took a step forward. Tamlin took a step backwards as his eyes flickered between me and his former lover. His mouth opened as if he was going to say anything, but it closed as Feyre lowered her hand.