THIRTY-EIGHT

"Come in." Lillie said as she continued to brush her hair as she was getting ready for bed. She saw one of her brothers walk into her room. "Is something the matter Brother?"

Jasper didn't say anything as he sat down on her bed. He has been thinking a lot. And it had nothing to do with his own life. "There is actually."

"What is it?" Lillie quickly stood up. "Is Papa ill? Mama?"

"Everyone is fine."

"Then what is it?"

Jasper sighed and patted the space next to him as the girl sat down. "Are you to say yes to Prince Friedrich?"

Lillie looked away from her brother. Everyone has been asking that question ever since they came home. And to be honest, the girl has been thinking about it, a lot. But she hasn't reached a decision yet. "I do not know."

"Why not?"

Lillie sighed. She didn't know. Actually she did know. But she didn't want to tell her Brother. He would not like her answer. "I—."

Jasper knew her answer. As much as he didn't want to admit it, it was all his fault. "You love Anthony do you not?"

Lillie looked down to her lap. No matter how much she tries to convince herself she can learn to love Prince Friedrich, it won't be anywhere near as much as her love for Anthony. "Please don't hate me Brother."

Jasper sighed. "I cannot hate you for loving someone. I suppose it is all my fault."

"What?"

"I was only trying to be the best brother for you. I wanted what is best for you but I was too much of a fool to see the love you and Anthony had for one another. You guys would have been married now if it weren't for me."

"It is not your fault Brother. You were only trying to protect me that is all."

"I was." Jasper smiled. 

"What is bothering you Brother?" Lillie asked, seeing how stressed out her brother looked. "You are not just here to talk about Lord Bridgerton." 

"There was this lady. I met her during our trip in Indonesia. I promised I will return to her after I fixed things around here so we could be together, but she couldn't wait for me. She married someone else. That is why I cannot believe in love. Because when I was close to loving someone, she left me."

Lillie didn't know that happened. "Brother. Why didn't you say something?"

Jasper shook his head. "I am supposed to be the oldest brother. I am to protect this family. I cannot burden you with my problems."

"But we are your family. You should never have to bear the burden of the oldest brother. Your problems are our problems too."

"I try so hard to protect you from every man this season. But the one person I should have protected you from is myself. I was an ass for not giving Anthony my blessing. He asked me for my hand to propose to you. I said no thinking it was the right thing. It was not. I see how much he loves you and in some ways I was jealous. I was jealous that no one would love me the way Anthony loves you. It was very selfish of me to do."

"It is in the past now Brother." Lillie reassured him. She didn't want him to think this was all his fault.

"Then I must do what is right."

"What is right?" Lillie questioned.

Jasper nodded as he stood up. "Do you trust me Sister?"

"I do."

"Then it is all up to you to who you want to marry. I know you will make the right choice with Prince Friedrich's proposal."

With that the eldest Pendermore left, ready to mend his mess he created.