First-class club

The first-class promenade deck was taken by the passengers who had apparently arranged to meet and greet each other. In first class, everyone knows everyone else. This means that everyone has an opinion about everyone else too. While many may not be thrilled to be travelling with someone in particular, it is still important to know if a long-time 'enemy' is on board. That's what that first meeting is for; to say hello, but more importantly to scrutinise the people we may or may not need to avoid.

Ruth Dewitt Bukater, followed by her daughter Rose and Caledon Hockley - Rose's fiancé -, would not have missed this moment for anything. Her eyes seemed forged for judgment and the blue of her piercing gaze could electrify any target of her attack. Seeing the Andrews coming towards them, she leans over to her daughter and whispers, "Dear Lord, poor Mr Andrews. Look at his daughter, if we can still call her that. Thank God nothing like that has passed your mind. » Caledon, who had not missed a beat, joined in their conversation. "Some people say she's lost her mind since her mother died, but it seems to me I've always known her to be off limits." Ruth nods in agreement. "I heard she's adamant about not getting married. Good heavens, what an unconscious woman. And how selfish. To deprive her father of an offspring like that," she added. "It makes no difference, since having only one daughter, the line of his name would have stopped here anyway," Rose finally replied, her emotionless face still unmoved. Seeing that her daughter does not seem to be in the same critical mood as she is, Ruth loses interest in Rose and turns her attention only to Cal, who seemed to be a little more attuned to her little gossip.

« Thomas! ». Mr Andrews' first name had just been called by Mr Ismay, who is now waving to him. Lily, who was standing by her father's side, continued to follow him through the various hands they had to shake. Mr Ismay is the Chairman of the White Star Line. As such, he travels in one of the two suites on the liner, at the company's expense.

Lily knows Mr Ismay well, having seen him many times before when he had business meetings with her father. If she had to be honest about him, she would not say that he is a malicious or evil man. Many times he even likes to make his own little joke.

But it is certain that Lily does not share any of his values.

Ismay shook Thomas' hand and gave him a sincere smile, he was happy to be there. Unlike the Andrews, Ismay intended to enjoy this trip as a passenger. He has no head for business and intends to have a good time. He then turns to Lily with a smile. « Dear Lily, reassure me, are you still planning to wear one of your beautiful dresses to dinner tonight?" he asked, though not unkindly. Indeed, Ismay had already seen Lily wearing trousers so many times that he could no longer be shocked. It was easy to see; with time, his face at the sight of her had calmed down.

"Of course, Mr Ismay. These trousers, although very practical, are not yet attached to my legs, you should know that" replies Lily. Ismay seems amused, he is also used to the Andrews girl's often casual attitude. Somehow, Thomas' kindness and talent sometimes make people more open to his own daughter's rebellious behaviour.

Lily and her father eventually come face to face with the Dewitt Bukater women and Caledon Hockley, whom Mr Ismay greeted enthusiastically. Of course, Caledon being the son of a man with a large fortune, the chairman of the White Star Line could only wish to perfect his relationship with him. "I presume you already know the shipbuilder Thomas Andrews and his daughter Lily?" he asked without really expecting an answer, he knew that was the case. It was a simple way to get everybody into a single conversation. Lily and Rose glanced at each other, neither in a furtively nor unpleasantly long way. It was just as if they were each watching the other from their own world, which was so different.

They finally smile politely after having observed each other for a few moments, before turning their attention back to their respective parent.

"How is your experience on the Titanic so far? Are your cabins to your liking?" asks Mr. Andrews. "They seem very comfortable to us" replies Ruth. "This is the most luxurious ship of its time. Having traveled many times, I can tell you that you have done an excellent job on this ship" adds Caledon. Thomas gives them a grateful smile. So far, Ruth and Caledon's eyes had only looked at Lily once, with disdain, but they avoid doing so again now that her father was standing right in front of them. As it seems obvious that Lily and Rose are not included in this conversation, Rose turns her attention back to Lily.

"Your outfit amazes me" she says, without any irony. Lily could hear it in her voice, but she was still surprised that Rose Dewitt Bukater was talking to her. Lily had only seen Rose a few times before, but she could tell that the youngster seemed to be under her mother's thumb, most of the time.

"Really?" replies Lily. "You are one of the few." Rose seemed a little annoyed for Lily, she obviously knew how much the young woman was at the center of the criticism. "Yes. And I understand how much easier it must make your life to wear that outfit when you have to follow your father around. I still find it very elegant, if I may say so" Rose added. Lily is only more surprised by these words, but she does not feel mocked. She thought Rose's tone was very sincere. She thanks her with a smile and nods slightly.

The afternoon had passed quickly. Both dressed for dinner, Mr. Andrews and his daughter left their cabins and headed for the grand staircase. Lily took her father's arm, as she should. For the first time since the beginning of the trip, she's dressed appropriately for a first-class young woman. The light blue of her dress perfectly highlights the color of her eyes and the small jewels adorning her hair are sparkling under the lights.

"Good evening, Mr. Andrews" greeted a male voice from behind them. The father and daughter turn around and come face to face with Mr Formosa. "You must be Lily" he then says, his eyes seemingly dazzled by the Andrews girl. Mr Formosa was a Spanish businessman who is used to traveling between Europe and New York. As a result of this hectic life, totally dedicated to his professional success, Alfonso de Formosa was now still unmarried at the age of thirty-eight. Rumour has it that he is now looking for a woman that he feels worthy of him. However, no one seems to find favour in his eyes.

According to Thomas, Formosa had made a point of formally introducing himself to him this afternoon and had asked him some subtle questions about his daughter. To avoid his daughter being surprised by an awkward situation she did not expect, Thomas had told his dear Lily about it. Both seem now slightly amused by Mr Formosa's presence before them.

"Indeed" replies Lily. "Alfonso de Formosa" replies the man with a charming Spanish accent, taking her hand to place a light kiss on it. "Nice to meet you" Lily adds politely. After nodding, he takes his leave of the Andrews and heads for the restaurant room to which all first-class passengers were invited.

"Now that's some serious behaviour. I think you were right" Lily says to her father. "I told you so" he added. "It's strange. He can't be unaware that I've given up on marriage". Thomas shrugs slightly, he's not that surprised. "Maybe that is part of it. He's a very wealthy man and from what I've heard, a lot of young women are interested in him. It must seem too easy to him. Perhaps he feels that a woman who has decided not to marry is more deserving of his interest. You are probably one of the few who do not seek his approval". Lily rolls her eyes. It's a loquacious situation, but it won't change her plans for the future. She was determined to focus on her career with her father and marriage was not in her future.

Dinner was like a classic first class dinner except that, as with everything on the Titanic, the meal was more incredible than on any ship before.

Conversation flowed, some complimenting Thomas and Ismay on the Titanic, others talking about what awaited them in America or even exchanging the latest news about some passengers' life and business.

At the end of it, Lily left the restaurant completely exhausted. It takes a lot of effort to keep up face in high society. She sometimes wonders if she is the only one who feels this is such a tiring ordeal. It takes even more energy out of her than her long working days.

Moreover, Alfonso de Formosa, who was sitting next to her during the dinner, had tried to keep up a conversation with her more than with any other guests. This had even slightly annoyed Thomas, who was beginning to find Formosa's ignorance of him disobliging. He was showing interest in his daughter, sure, but it is good manners not to go beyond parental approval to concentrate directly on the object of his desires, in this case Lily.

Thomas had decided not to take part in the political discussions that take place between men in the smoking room, over a brandy. He felt that he still had a lot of work to do today, and preferred to return to his cabin to get on with it. He had said good night to his beloved daughter, then Lily went to her cabin to get ready for the night and go to bed. The journey had only just begun and she was already wondering how she could avoid the "first class bows" and the passengers' judging eyes for the days to come.