April 13th, 1912

Thomas and Lily had sat down to have breakfast at their usual table. « Are you planning to visit Tommy today? » Thomas asks, between two sips of his coffee. « I am » replies Lily. « Are you going to tell him how you feel? ». Thomas smiles. He knows his daughter is happy. « I think so. I would also like to tell him that we talked about this last night. And that you see this relationship in a good light. I think that might make him feel better. You know, he's a bit uncomfortable in our little world. He told me he feels like he doesn't belong. It's understandable, people from high society are not the most welcoming ones. They judge everyone, all the time. Including themselves » she tells.

Thomas nods in agreement. « You have to make him feel welcome among us. You know I do not care about what other people might think » Thomas says. « I know that. He admires you a lot, you know. I think he'll be reassured to know that you think highly of him too » she replies. « You should also check on the young Rose. I'm a bit dismayed by what you've told me ». Lily frowns. « You agree that it was all nonsense, right? » she asks. « It is strange indeed. What do you think really happened? ». Lily lowers her voice a little to answer: « I wonder if this avoided fall was really an accident. You know, she always looks so sad. And even more so lately, we've been talking about it ». Thomas nods again. « If you're right, it's even more concerning than we thought. She must be very desperate if she wanted to intend on her life » Thomas says gravely. « I will try to talk to her » Lily adds.

In the third-class general room, Tommy, Jack and Fabrizio took a seat among other passengers. Fabrizio is having a conversation with Helga. They are still struggling to understand each other, but they manage to get by. Jack is having fun with a little girl called Cora. He shows her his drawings and the little girl seems to be amazed. After a while, her parents come to pick her up. « Come on Cora. Time to say goodbye to Uncle Jack » her father says. « Bye Uncle Jack » said Cora. Jack smiles and waves goodbye.

He then turns to Tommy. The Irish boy has a blank stare and looks sad. « You okay, buddy? » Jack asks. Tommy sighs: « I'm gutted. I had no idea she was playing both sides » he says. His eyes are now filled with anger, thinking about this. « I understand you're disappointed » Jack replies. He places a friendly hand on Tommy's shoulder.

At the same time, Rose enters the room. Gradually, the room falls silent as she passes. Everyone seems to be amazed by her presence, her beauty. She looks around for Jack. She approaches the boys: « Mr Dawson, may I speak with you? » she asks. « Sure » replies Jack. Rose looks at Tommy, then at Fabrizio and Helga. Everyone is waiting to hear what she has to say. « In private? » she adds. « Of course » says Jack. He stands up. Tommy looks at Rose, then at Jack with a smirk. Passing in front of him, Jack gives him a pat, making him understand to stop teasing him.

After sharing breakfast with her father, Lily once again heads for the third-class deck. She is very eager to get back to Tommy. She will finally admit what she feels, she is ready to do so. She almost runs to make her way faster.

A few metres away from the third class, Lily runs into Rose and Jack. She looks surprised, but doesn't lose her broad smile. « Oh, what a surprise! How are you, Rose? » asks Lily. « Very well, thank you. I was able to recover from my emotions. And I wanted to thank Mr Dawson for saving me » Rose replies. « Where are you going so fast? » she then asks. « I'm going to visit a friend in third class » says Lily. Jack looks embarrassed. « Can we speak for a moment? » he asks Lily. « Sure. What's going on, Jack? » They both take a step aside from Rose. « I think you shouldn't go » Jack says. Lily looks shocked. She doesn't understand. « Why not? ». « I think you should leave him alone. We both heard you last night. You were telling Rose and her fiancé that you had no interest in Tommy ». Lily is speechless. She had indeed said that. But she wanted to get rid of Caledon and his indiscretion quickly. She didn't mean a word of it. « No, Jack, you don't understand... » she begins to say. She doesn't smile anymore. She looks desperate and confused. « He is hurt. He really is. I can tell you where he is, if you like. But I really think you should leave him alone » Jack adds. This may sound a bit harsh, but Jack didn't know how Lily really felt. All he knew was that she had hurt his friend. And that, he could not accept. He was angry with her too. Lily notices his coldness. She feels helpless, she doesn't know what to say. She feels tears coming to her eyes. Not wanting to cry in front of them, or anyone else for that matter, she gives up and goes back to where she came from.