Chapter 2: World Outside The Box

Athena had never known a world outside the skybox, but to Clarke, that was all she had ever known. Soon after Athena was taken away, the council told all that knew of her that they would be floated had they revealed anything about her existence. It was clear to her parents that not even her twin could know about her. That was how it had to be, even if it broke her parent's hearts. In return for their loyalty, her parents Abby and Jake, were given promotions in their field of work. Abby became a doctor while Jake got promoted to lead engineer. Abby tried everything in her power to obtain information on her daughter but was always unsuccessful. Eventually, she gave up and dedicated her time to providing all she could to the daughter she had in her care. They made it their mission to give Clarke the everyday life they could, so she did.

Clarke knew of minimal struggle throughout her life, but she worked hard and always wanted to earn what she was given. She loved to learn and was a natural at school. She became a quick study planning on following in her mother's footsteps in the medical field. Helping others became second nature to her. Though her life seemed perfect, Clarke could always sense something was missing, and she could never quite put her finger on it. She never understood the waves of emotions that would roll inside her even though she had nothing bothering her at that moment. Why was she feeling this way?

She couldn't help but feel that these feelings were not her own. She shrugged it off until it went from emotional to physical pain. It started as slight stings, then escalated to burns, then small stabbing pains. According to her mother, they all seemed to have no medical explanation. The pain was bearable but quite uncomfortable. Nothing some pain meds couldn't fix, but it always made Clarke feel uneasy. She didn't like that she didn't know why she felt this way, but after a while, her mother managed to convince her to forget about it. Little did she know Abby held all the answers she was looking for, but she couldn't reveal the truth. Her guilt grew as the years went on, but she knew the truth would only cause her daughter the pain she so desperately tried to keep her from.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope everyone likes the story so far! The next chapter will be from Maggie's point of view! Feel free to comment on any opinions or ideas you guys have.