009. an eight year old with a scraped knee

╔ ——————————————— ╗CHAPTER NINE"an eight year old with a scrapedknee

╔ ——————————————— ╗
CHAPTER NINE
"an eight year old with a scraped
knee."
╚ ——————————————— ╝

DARKNESS SEEMED TO be the most prominent aspect of Alexis Rivera's life.

Like she was walking blindfolded in unknown territory. She had her hands outstretched and her eyes open wide; but she still couldn't feel her way towards the complete and ineffable truth. It was like every time she thought she understood, a new struggle - and along with that new questions - comes her way. 

 And she could tell that Scott was upset. 

 The bus was cramped, and Lex was sitting next to Daisy Beck; who had been humming the tune in her headphones for the past twenty minutes. Lex had a sketchbook propped on her knee, and she had no idea where she was going with the design. Her hand had a mind of its own - and it wouldn't stop shading waves. Waves like the ocean - all concealed in the iris of a girl. 

 Occasionally, her eyes would lift and glance behind her. That was when she would see Scott and Stiles. They were reviewing vocabulary words, and Lex could hear Stiles blurt out random sarcastic comments at the material every five minutes. Scott wasn't saying much; he leaned against the window, half asleep... but he seemed out of sorts. Almost as if he was in pain. 

 Lex gritted her teeth together, using her thumb to smudge the bottom of one of the waves she was doodling. The bus went over a bump, and Lex heard a pained hiss. She turned around in time to see Scott's eyes screw shut, his face contorted in pain, and she felt her eyes narrow. 

 Shutting her book, she rose to her feet and placed it on her seat. Daisy turned to her, taking one of her ear buds out as she raised a questioning eyebrow. "Where're you going?" 

 "I just wanna stretch my legs." 

 Daisy smiled, "okay!" 

 Lex stepped on her seat, careful to avoid her book, and swung her legs over so she was in the next row. Thankfully, there was no one sitting there, so she was able to lean forward to speak to Scott and Stiles. "Are you okay?"

 "Nice to see you too," the fair-skinned boy mused, but Lex ignored him. Instead, she focused a steely look on Scott, cocking an eyebrow. 

 The boy exhaled, "I'm fine." 

 "You don't look fine."

 He rotated his shoulders, grimacing as he placed a hand on his stomach. He looked up so that they could lock eyes, and spoke in a tone laced with finalization. "I'm fine." 

Lex gritted her teeth. She cast Stiles a glance, one that she hoped conveyed 'your best friend is annoying', and he gave a half-shrug in response. Lex tapped her nails against the back of the seat, glancing down at Scott's stomach, where his hand was still gently resting. "Did you get stabbed?" She demanded, brushing a piece of hair away from her eyes. "Because I thought you healed when that happened."