▪︎ Digi Log 19 ▪︎

Following the Incident at
The Red Palace

After being hit by the electrical surge from West, Ava-1 had suffered a complete short circuit. Nova and Whitlock were determined to come to the rescue. They took Ava-1 back to Apple Bytes for a complete diagnostic and reboot. For the next two days, she was their highest priority project.

With care beyond what Nova thought a sixteen-year-old boy was capable, Whitlock manually directed a synthetic cell stimulator over every millimeter of Ava's smooth artificial scalp. "She can totally rock the bald look," he said to Nova. "But I think she should be able to grow hair, if she wants to."

Saito took Mina to Neo-York Hospital for an emergency detox and transfusion to remove all traces of West's poison blood.

"You're not in much better shape than she is," the nurse told him, surveying his bruises, cuts, and bloody arm. "You should let me stitch and bandage you up while we wait. Mrs. Harker will likely be asleep until tomorrow."

Saito agreed, given that he could stay in the room in case Mina awoke.

At some point during the night, a huge bouquet of translucent neon lilies appeared on Mina's bedside table. The card read:

For the sacrifice you made so that I didn't have to. Get well soon. I am forever in your debt.
~ Major Thomas Jones (and Iman)

Once they had been released from medical care, Saito and Mina returned to Apple Bytes to check the status of Ava-1's reboot. She came back online just after they arrived.

"It's like she regained consciousness because she heard their voices," Whitlock whispered to Nova. He didn't want to interrupt the fateful reunion of the trio.

"I think she did," Nova replied softly. "And I believe it would have been the same no matter which of them was unconscious. They function as one unit. I've never seen a team so tightly knit."

¤ ¤ ¤

Three days later...

The Ministry of Justice
Neo-York
15:25

The interrogation rooms were located on sub-level five. Nova rode the elevator to the subterranean corridor and joined the Negotiators in Room 101.

West was secured with titanium restraints in a reinforced chair, and subdued with a drug that caused temporary paralysis.

"She looks so...small now," Nova said to her contract employees. "So insignificant. It's hard to believe I've been afraid of her for so long."

West glared at Nova through narrowed eyes. Her green lips pulled back from her teeth in a snarl. Thanks to the stoppage of the manufacturing of products that contained Chartreuse, Nova was beginning to see West's true colors. In every respect.

"So, it was you," West spat. "Little nobody Nova Herdeem hired the Negotiators to destroy everything I've built. Ha! What rubbish and dribble!"

"Yes, it was me," Nova said. Her voice was quiet but firm. "I hired them. It was the best decision I ever made."

"Yet, for someone who wanted to be rid of me, here you are, visiting me in interrogation," West snipped. "Why? What do you want?"

"To interrogate you, obviously," Mina cut in.

"So, shut your yap until you're asked a question," Ava-1 added.

Saito gave Nova a nod of encouragement. "Go on, Nova-san. You've earned your answers."