06 | fruit band-aids

It's Sunday, and even though I would typically find myself cooped up in my room the entire day, today I find myself out and about in town, in search of a gift for Chaerin, whose birthday falls next week.

Because I've spent the whole of yesterday and the first half of today procrastinating, it is only at 7pm do I finally drag myself out to do some last-minute shopping.

The shops close much later today since it's the weekend, so I'm not too worried. Shopping alone is boring, and I did contemplate asking Sera to come along, but Sera and Jaemin come in a pair, and I just know they'd take three hours to do something I can do in less than one.

After walking for a while, I settle on getting my roommate a tote bag for school. Nothing much, but I know she'd like it.

When I step out of the store, the streets are still littered with people, which I appreciate considering I feel much safer. It is only when I reach the junction that leads me back to my apartment does it start to get emptier, though it doesn't really bother me— I've been home later than this and still turned out just fine.

Despite the lack of cars, I wait for the pedestrian light to turn green before I start to cross, though I would soon find out my safety precaution wouldn't matter at that moment when I hear the sound of tires screeching directly towards me.

I turn my head at the speed of light, almost snapping my neck in the process, to see an oil truck barrelling straight towards me.

My first instinct is to move, of course, but for some reason, I couldn't find it in me to do so when my legs betray me and I stay rooted to my spot.

I've always found the female leads in those cringy dramas stupid when they freeze in shock at the sight of a vehicle coming towards them, but now that I'm in their exact situation, I know why.

I suddenly feel my body fly forward, slamming against something in the process, and the next thing I know, I'm on the ground with my eyes squeezed shut.

I hear the sound of panting from somewhere near me, and I know it definitely isn't me. The sound of a zing! comes next as it whizzes right past my ear, and this is when I force myself to open my eyes.

I'm met with the face of a masked man who has been the talk of the town as of late. Spider-Man isn't looking at me, but instead somewhere behind him with his left arm stretched out, and I see a string of translucent fluid that shoots right out of his wrist all the way to the back of the lorry.

I see his muscles flex through his spandex suit as he tries to stop the truck from hitting the light post in front, and he manages to do so in the nick of time when the vehicle eventually stops just a hair away.

Onlookers rush to the scene and I hear Spider-Man let out a sigh of relief. He then turns to look at me, but instead of saying anything, he only tilts his head and lifts his hand in an ok sign.

It is only then that I realise that his other hand is in between the back of my head and the pavement, presumably having saved me from making any direct contact with the concrete below me.

My throat is dry and I can't find my voice, so I can only afford to nod shakily before I remove myself from his hold. He helps me stand up and is quick to inspect my arms for any injury I may have sustained, and I feel his gloved hand on my right one as he gazes down on it.

I follow his line of vision to see an angry red mark resting on my palm. It's funny, because I didn't really feel the pain up till now, but I guess it's because the shock is finally wearing off.

Spider-Man raises his hands to rest them on my shoulders before he looks behind him, as though in search of something. He looks back at me and lifts his hands up, as though telling me to wait, before he disappears down the row of shops.