34 | no way out

The sound of the gunshot causes me to flinch, the echo ricocheting between the four walls we are trapped in.

I know that my body is on the verge of shutting down, but ironically, I feel very much alive, and it's because of the lack of bullet holes in me.

I look down to my shoes, seeing a spark of blue at the tip of my pen from where the charged web had shot out from.

It had gone straight towards Yuta just as he had pulled the trigger, redirecting the bullet upwards instead of through my skull.

It seems as though time had stopped for a moment, but Mark is the first to react as he frees himself from Taeyong, causing his knife to drop to the ground with a clang as he loses his composure. He shoots out a web, small but strong enough to trap Taeyong's hand against the wall, and that is all he needed to buy himself some extra time.

Without hesitating, Mark instantly shoots out another string of web towards the ceiling, swinging from it with one hand towards where Kun is standing right behind me.

I move my head instinctively, though I know Mark wasn't actually going to hit me. With it all happening within a split second, Kun isn't given the time to react when I hear his body fall to the ground with a loud thud.

Mark skids towards me, taking the pen into his hands. As much as I would love for him to just hold me instead, I know that there are more pressing matters at hand— it wouldn't take long before Taeyong and Kun get to us, and for Yuta to wake up.

"Shit, I need to get you out. How the fuck do I use this- shit," Mark interrupts himself when his gaze diverts to somewhere behind me, and I know that it's Kun.

"Mark, give it to me," I instruct, and he doesn't need to be told twice as he stands up, making sure the pen is secure between my fingers behind my back before he takes on our professor.

I fumble with the device, knowing that it only takes me sliding down the clip to trigger the blade, and it soon pops out with a small click.

I keep my eyes on Taeyong, the man clearly fuming as he struggles to free himself from the web, and even though that doesn't look it's going to happen anytime soon, I waste no time in trying to cut off my ropes.

With me going in blind, it looks like I won't be able to free myself anytime soon either.

I flinch when I feel Mark and Kun fall to my side, still in the midst of their brawl.

"This girl must really mean a lot to you, Mark," Kun snarks, not bothering to fight back with his body flat on the ground, Mark's hands on his collar. "I have to say, I'm quite impressed."

"You sure do have a lot to say for someone who's literally on the losing end right now," Mark replies, his tone devoid of any humour.

"You know, I've had my eyes on you since the very beginning, Yena." Kun looks at me instead, a ghost of a smirk on his face. It no longer holds the comfort and niceness I once believed in, rather the opposite that makes my blood run cold. "Such a sweet, innocent girl. I never would have expected you to put up a fight the way you did— makes the chase all the more interesting, doesn't it?"

"Hey, eyes on me." Mark tightens his fists around the material of Kun's coat, but the man makes no move to retaliate. "What do you want, Kun?"