surprise! bonus #03 | disconnected

Chaerin stares at her phone, biting her lip as her reflection stares back at her

She has been hoping for the device in her grasp to light up, but it hasn't, leaving her to wait some more.

Or, you could just call him first, the nagging voice at the back of her head sounds, and Chaerin lets out a frustrated groan as she hastily sits up, now gripping her phone with two hands as she glares at the screen.

It wouldn't be weird, right? She wonders.

It had only been a little less than 24 hours since they parted ways from the hospital, but Chaerin still couldn't help but wonder how Donghyuck is doing.

Ugh, Donghyuck.

The confession that had left his lips earlier plays over and over again like a broken record in her brain, leaving Chaerin feeling all squeamish and... weird, on the inside.

It's a new feeling she isn't familiar with.

Letting out a final groan, she taps on his contact, bringing her phone to her ear before she could change her mind at the very last minute. It doesn't ring for very long before the person at the other end of the line picks up, and Chaerin could feel her heart jumping in her ribcage at his voice.

"Hello?"

She clears her throat, not wanting to make it obvious that she had let the boy momentarily render her speechless.

"What are you doing?" She decides to ask, her words coming out harsh like they always do when she's talking to him.

Donghyuck chuckles, and Chaerin could hear the muffled sound of sheets crinkling. She imagines him tossing and turning in his bed, and the thought of him doing so with his arm still in his cast causes her to frown.

"Idiot! Stop moving around so much."

"I'm okay," Donghyuck assures her, his tone light-hearted. "Huh, it's only been a day since I last saw you. Did you miss me already, Cherry?"

Chaerin scoffs, not wanting to admit that yes, she does in fact, miss him.

He doesn't need to know that, though.

"You know what? Fine. I'll hang up-"

"Hey, hey, I was kidding! I'm just lying down. Nothing much you can do with a broken arm," Donghyuck sighs. The line is silent before he continues. "You?" He asks softly.

Chaerin bites her bottom lip, not quite liking how the change in his tone had managed to cause her heart to stutter. It was the same tone he used back at the hospital, when he had called her real name to tell her that he... loved her.

She could feel her cheeks heat up furiously as she lets herself fall backwards onto her mattress, and for a moment Chaerin had forgotten that Donghyuck is still on the line with her.