Chapter 1: Percy

As a small note: the story begins on Percy's sixteenth birthday. That is to say, the day he becomes the savior of Olympus

Time seemed to move slower as Luke moved the dagger towards his Achilles heel. I started to worry that it was Kronos trying to stop him and based on the strain on Luke's face that was likely true. I grabbed his free hand, trying to lend him strength. After a moment it seemed to work and time sped back up.

As the dagger was driven home Luke gave me a weak smile, "Thank you, Percy." I floundered slightly. What was I supposed to say? "You're a hero, Luke." The words slipped out before I even knew what I was saying. The pain in his eyes lessened and his grip on my hand started to loosen.

"I'm sorry." He murmured. Then suddenly his eyes shot open and his grip returned tenfold. Holding me in his vice like grip Kronos' golden eyes glared furiously at me. I gasped and tried to pull away, but he held on and started chanting.Just like at the edge of the pit all those years ago, I could feel the malice radiating off each word. 

I heard Grover call out to me. I turned to him and saw he was trying to reach out to me but he kept being buffeted back by strong winds. I turned back to Kronos, kicking him and trying to wrench my arm from his grip. Though I could feel it was already too late, I took vicious satisfaction from kicking him in the face and making his chanting stumble.

A golden light started to envelope us. I looked toward Grover and Annabeth, giving them a small smile, feeling warmth in my heart. If I died, I'd be glad that my best friends' faces were the last I saw.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing I noticed as the light cleared was the ocean. The next was the, now light, grip still held on my wrist.

I looked down into lifeless blue eyes. Luke. At least he had been himself in his last moments. I dug a drachma out of a pouch tied to my belt. A precaution I had taken to ensure that none of my comrades got stuck in D.O.A Recording Studios with Charon for all eternity.

An hour later I was standing on the beach alone and unsure of what to do next.I turned inland for the first time and felt my breath catch in my throat. It was beautiful. There were islands next to the one I was on, on either side and further on I could see more. Each one was connected to the largest island in the middle through giant bridges.

I'd never heard of a place built like this. The thought made me frown. This place seemed to be an architectural marvel, surely Annabeth would've told me about it?

I stared at the city in the distance, trying to decide if I should dive into the ocean and swim home or find out where I was. My friends would be waiting for me at home, but at the same time I could feel something in the city calling out to me. Something in the city was urging me to find it, to go towards it and as usual, my curiosity won out.

With a huff I stared towards the nearest buildings. I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off as I drew closer. That feeling was cemented as I first saw the people.

They were wearing chitons. Which I'd only seen worn on Olympus. I took a deep breath and tried to ignore the strangeness. Maybe they were doing a renaissance fair. 'They're not.' My traitorous mind whispered. 'Shut up.' I grumbled back. Right after my internal debate I started to notice the people's odd reaction to my armour. If it were a renaissance fair they wouldn't have been eyeing me so warily for it.

"Hey!" I turned my head toward the merchant who'd called out to me. "My apologies, I don't mean to bud in my lord. But you seem lost and most travelers seek the temple. It's on the central island near the palace, if you're looking for it my lord." I frowned, only half listening to the merchants near terrified ramble, as I realized he was speaking in ancient Greek.

I snapped out of my thoughts as the man shifted nervously under my gaze. I quickly softened my expression. Nodding slightly I thanked him in Greek as best I could and moved on, now feeling more out of sorts than before.

I'd only moved a few paces away before realizing he'd mistaken me for a lord. I hesitated for a second, but it would be awkward to go back and correct him so I continued moving towards the bridge.

As I neared it I started to feel self-conscious. People kept staring and whispering and scrambling out my way. I couldn't understand why, that is until I caught my reflection in the water.

It struck me that I had just come from a war. That not long ago I had been fighting for my life against monsters and demigods.

I was still covered in monster dust and... Blood.

Well that's the end of chapter one! Constructive criticism is very welcome. I hope you enjoy the story further.

~Dreamer