Chapter 3: Percy

It took a while to convince Perses that my name really was Perseus. After I managed that, it turned out to be a great idea to have someone who knew the city with me. With the directions Perses provided, we reached the temple in no time.

It was a massive building. Built as most Greek temples were; it had large columns supporting the roof, between each column were scenes of Poseidon's victories, achievements and most famous stories. I felt a little awed. This was dedicated to my father. An odd feeling of pride started to fill me.

The mood was ruined as Perses, who was held in my arms, started to curse very colourfully for an eight year old. I looked down at the squirming boy. "Perses stop wiggling. I'm going to drop you." I told him, trying to ensure he didn't fall on his face or something. He ignored my warning and continued to writhe around. I decided putting him on his feet would be better than dropping him.

He immediately hid behind my legs. "Perses..." I started, feeling very concerned. "It's them!" he hissed, gripping my legs tightly. "Diablos and the other kids who were so rude to me!" I followed his gaze to see a group of children, about the same age as Perses was, sitting in a circle playing a game I didn't recognise.

"We have to pass them to enter the temple." I informed him. "Or we could just not do that." He said, doing his best to not look toward the other children. My heart went out to him. I had personally experienced how awful bullies could be many times, but standing so close to the temple made the pull from earlier so much more insistent. I couldn't just walk away from it.

"I need to enter the temple, Perses." He looked at me with pleading eyes. "Just follow my lead. Hold yourself with pride, don't let them know that they get to you." I fixed his slumped posture with a reassuring smile. "Besides, you have me with you now." That seemed to work. He smiled hesitantly at me and turned towards the doors. "I am so kicking your shins if you embarrass me." He informed me. I laughed. "No promises." When we neared the children, his small hand reached out to clutch mine. I gave his hand a gentle squeeze.

"Hey!" I tried to keep walking but Perses stopped, dragging me to a standstill too. The largest kid was leading the other children in our direction. I sighed but positioned myself next to Perses. I pulled him closer to me, I'd hoped we could avoid confrontation but I wasn't about to leave Perses on his own. He shot me a panicked look but I nodded reassuringly at him. He squared his shoulders and turned to face the oncoming bullies.

He nodded at the boy, trying to act tough and holding his head high. The other boy sneered but didn't seem inclined to step closer with me there. "Oh look its puny Perses! Gone and found yourself a street rat to play with, have you?" Perses' grip tightened as Diablos turned to me. "I don't know what he's told you, but if I were you I wouldn't associate with orphaned bastards." He gave his goons behind him a rotten toothed smile as thunder rumbled through the clear skies. Oblivious to the danger they all jeered and laughed nastily.

Perses started to squeeze my hand. I looked down at him, only to see he was shaking with anger. That wasn't good. "Aww is pathetic little Perses going to cry?" Clearly the child was blind to miss the fury written so plainly on Perses' face.

The sky had begun to darken and I knew that if he lost control we would be in big trouble. "Perses." I whispered in warning. "Diablos," He said tersely "I'd really appreciate it if you stopped." Diablos eyed him, nasty grin still plastered on his face. "The peasant speaks!" He moved closer. He towered over Perses, for an eight year old he was rather tall.

"Enough." I said, trying to get between them. Why were these kids being so dam intense? Before I could do anything Diablos spoke again. "There's a reason you've been alone for the past few months, Perses. You're so pathetic that even your own mother didn't want to stick around for you." That was clearly the dumbest thing he could've said. Perses had, had enough.