Chapter 11

Today was my birthday

Today was my birthday. I was finally turning 14. But it was also the last day of summer which bummed me out a bit. Tomorrow school would start up again which meant less baseball and more sitting around. However, I had no more time to think about that when the door bell rang.

"Take your pick.", my brother Ryan told my other brother Parker as he got up from the dining table.

Parker smirked at Ryan as he responded: "My money's on loverboy. That one always pays off."

"Alright, I'll add glasses to it. They're always together.", Ryan shrugged before opening the door.

"Ha!", I let out as I saw all the boys in front of the door. My brother's were so stupid. They always had to bet on everything. I was cool with it as long as they kept me out of it which they mostly did.

"Hey there, birthday girl.", Benny walked past my brothers to hug me.

I smiled at the tall boy: "Hey, Benny. Thanks."

He handed me a neatly wrapped package and backed up to let the rest of the guys through.

"Happy birthday, Rie!", Bertram and Tommy called out as they bashed forward and picked me up in a hug.

I shrieked in surprise when they started jumping: "Thanks, guys. I can't breathe."

Ham pried them off me: "Don't kill her before I get the chance to say something!"

"Happy birthday.", he turned to me: "Oh, cake!"

Kenny hugged me next: "Happy birthday, Rie-Rie." He smiled at me and let go. Then he stood next to Benny like a normal person.

"Happy birthday.", Timmy high fived me.

Scott walked in next and smiled at me: "Happy birthday. Thanks for inviting me."

I smiled back: "Of course, Scotty. You're my friend." His smile grew bigger at that as he gave me a quick hug and also went to stand by Benny.

Squints pushed Yeah-Yeah back as he raced up to me: "First! Suck it, McClennan."

I gave him a look and he smiled: "Yeah yeah, happy birthday."

Squints was pushed to the side as another voice spoke: "Hey, that's my line!"

"Happy birthday.", Yeah-Yeah smiled at me happily. 

I smiled back at him and responded: "Thanks, Yeah-Yeah."

He wanted to hug me when he got interrupted: "Alright, loverboy. Save it for when we're gone, why don't ya?"

I glared at my older brother's who walked away, laughing.

"Sorry.", I said to Yeah-Yeah as all the others left for the kitchen, or more specifically the cake.

"No worries.", he said and hugged me: "You smell really nice."