chapter two.

chapter two
𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝, 𝐟𝐨𝐠𝐬 𝐮𝐩 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐝𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝 𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐢 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮

∙∙∙∙∙

𝐥𝐨𝐮, 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐚𝐠𝐨

"Can we sit for a bit? My legs are killing me,"

The town square was Kit and Lou's familiar spot, one of many. They would grace the stone streets many times a week when Kit was home, not buying anything, just walking and enjoying the company.

"Yeah course," Kit quickly looked around for a bench, anything really. "You feeling alright?"

"I'm fine," Lou smiled, "Stop stressing out," Kit quickly brought her over to a fence so she could at least lean against it. He had always worried about her. Kit remembered the first time he saw her legs give out, she had just fallen and there was nothing he could do to stop it. Kit likes to think of that day as the day he realised he loved her, he just wanted to make sure she was okay. He wanted her to always be okay.

He went home that night and did all the research he could on cauda equine, a spinal cord damage syndrome. He never wanted her to fall when he was with her again.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Did you know you can make the southern cross constellation on your right cheek?" Yep, he definitely loved her. He laughed at the sudden change in topic.

"What?"

"You can, right-" She traced the constellation on the side of his face, soft to the touch, "Here,"

Kit had always thought about kissing Lou, it might have taken up half of his brain capacity most times they were together. Right now with her hand on the side of his face, her tracing more shapes that she could make out- he wanted to hold her. Just hold her for who she was, not for anything else and not with any other intent. He just wanted to know she was there and that she wasn't going to disappear.

"Kit," She broke him out of his daze, "Are you gonna get that?"

His phone was ringing, he quickly snapped out of it and answered the call. His manager was on the other end. Lou knew what this meant. She was there last time he got a call like this and she hoped that she would be there for the one after this. Kit had auditioned for a Netflix project last month, one he thought could really change his career. Lou listened as Kit thanked his agent with such vigour, so grateful.

When Kit hung up he had no words, he just held his breath and looked at Lou. They both knew, unspoken, that he was going to leave again. She would always miss him, but Lou's sense of pride would always prosper; she was so proud of him.

Without saying a word, Lou engulfed Kit in her arms holding him as tight as she could possibly muster. She knew that if she fell in this moment, he would catch her.

𝐥𝐨𝐮, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭

The thought of going over to Kit's house had been on her mind since she saw him in his window. Usually she would run to him, be the one waiting in baggage claim. Lack of communication stole that from her. Lou's eyes locked on her couch, a maroon sweatshirt laying over the back of the chair, one that didn't belong to Kit. Her phone lit up, a new notification.

𝗡𝗲𝘁𝗳𝗹𝗶𝘅
𝘕𝘦𝘸 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶: 𝘏𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘳

Her stare held. Her heart ached. She couldn't bring herself to watch it, or even the trailer. Lou knew it go one of two ways, she would want to cry as soon as she saw him on screen, or instantly forgive him at the mere sight of his soft eyes and smile. A knock on her door, her mum calling out for her to answer it.

Her legs trudged over to the door. Opening it, she wished she hadn't opened it.

"Lou," It was Kit.

"Kit," She mustered up the best smile she could, one that hurt her to do.

"How have you been?" His hands in his pockets, sheltering him from the cold weather and the cold he felt from Lou.

"Alright, you?" She asked. The shock had worn off, now only sadness, a hint of anger, coursed through her.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm alright too,"

"Welcome home," Their reunions were so different usually, Kit knew he did this to them.

"Yeah thanks! I um- just wanted to come over and say I'm home and back next door," He laughed pathetically, disappointed with himself, "You know, where I live. But I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out soon?"

"Uh yeah, course," She nodded, "Well it was good to see you, I better get back to it," Get back to sitting on the couch thinking about how he left.

"Yeah yeah, um- so... I'll see you soon?" Kit asked, rocking back and forth nervously on his heels.

"Always," Lou nodded, "See you, Kit" Lou slowly went back inside before closing the door.

"See you," But the door was already shut, he knew he did this to them.