Prologue

The sun kissed my face as I rounded the corner with a sense of familiarity and excitement attached to me. I had picked out the same red sundress that used to fit me a little looser. It made me feel ready for today. My sunglasses hung onto the bridge of my nose as I shook my curls loose from the bun they had been in. 

There in the distance I could see the old pale green flower shop that my mother used to take me to. The paint was still chipping off the side of the building where the window was, the bell on top of the door had been recently polished and it was propped open by a large stone statue of a dancer.

 I quickly noticed Miss B hunched over her flower bed gently fixing the flowers, despite her old age. Miss B loved her plants and I often think my love of gardening came from both my mother and her. Every year, on the anniversary of my mother's death, I end up here. It has been 5 years now and picking a new flower to plant back home has become my way of staying close to her.

 It may seem silly, but I don't believe in God, and this was a way for me to feel my mother's presence around me.

"Good morning, Miss B," I smile as she lets out a small grunt making her way up from where she had been kneeling. "Has it been a year already? Surely you were here just yesterday, Miss Lilly." 

She grabs my hand gently and pats it between hers, "Come now, I've got something special for you this time." I follow her up the three steps and find myself surrounded by nature. I always found this place to be incredibly calming, a natural form of therapy. 

"I just received these seeds from a new supplier, and they are supposed to bloom into the most beautiful roses," she waves me over to a purple velvet box she had retrieved from the back room. "Miss B, you know I don't plant roses, not since ..." She hushes me and reaches for a small black bag. 

"Now, don't give me any of that today, Miss Lilly. I know you cherished your mothers' roses, and it must have been very difficult to see them wilt like they did, but I promise you, these are worth your time and love." I am hesitant to accept her offer but she seems so certain that these would deliver what I needed that I can't find it in myself to refuse. "Okay, I will take some then. I am not hopeful though because I seem to kill every rose I lay my hands on." 

She chuckles as she wraps the packet into a little bag. She adds some blue and white tissue paper and then hands the bag to me. We pause for a moment and stand face to face, both of us with a faint smile on our faces, a mutual understanding of the importance of today. "I guess I'll see you next year Miss B," she looks down quickly and starts tidying some loose papers on the counter, "perhaps even sooner, we never know what life has in store for us Miss Lilly." 

With that, she turns around and disappears outside to continue tending to her flowers. I hold onto the bag with a tight grip and feel my heartbeat accelerate at the thought of going home. I close my eyes and think about my mom. I open them, and for a second I can almost picture her standing by the doorway, waiting for me to follow her back.

It is late afternoon when I finally reach my house, still clinging dearly to the bag at my fingertips. I place my keys in the little yellow dish near my front door and put on my oversized tan knit cardigan, the one my mother used to wear. Sometimes I think I can still smell her perfume, the aroma of vanilla engulfing my mind. 

Slowly, I step outside and walk towards the patch I had prepared before leaving this morning. I was surrounded by marigolds, tulips, sunflowers, and every other flower I had planted over the years. In the opposite corner stood the remnants of the rosebush my mother had planted before she had passed. I still can't seem to dig it out, so I choose to ignore its existence. Dandelions had started to sprout around it, I really should find a time to tend to it. 

I grab my watering can and start to drench the soil, occasionally glancing at the bag that now lay at my feet. After a few minutes, I reach for the packet and gently open a corner, pouring the seeds out. As they fall, I blink in shock. 

There, in the crevice of my right hand, were three neon blue seeds. They almost looked like they were glowing. I rub my eye with my free hand, convinced I was just seeing things, but the colours of the seeds only seem to get more vivid. Must be a new genetic mutation I haven't heard of yet I think to myself. After overcoming my disbelief, I continue my little ritual and drop them into the soil.

 I cover them quickly and then I place my hand over them, "I miss you," I whisper to the wind.

I wipe the tear that had managed to escape the corner of my eye and I start to make my way back inside. I look back, once again seeing an image of my mother tending to the garden, looking up at me with a smile that could warm any heart. 

I wave at her and then laugh at myself, "she isn't here Lilly, stop being weird." I step inside and let the door close behind me. About one hour later, showered and hungry, I make my way back into the kitchen looking for inspiration. I decide on a vegetable casserole and start to peel some carrots by the window. 

As I hum to myself, I glance up outside and a gasp escapes my lips. The carrot rolls into the sink where I dropped it as I move slowly towards the backdoor. Thoughts are rushing through my mind as I swing the door open only to reveal a fully grown rosebush. I take three steps forward but stop before I could take any more. 

There, in front of me, were 10 beautifully bloomed roses, glowing blue in the night. "What is this?" I say to myself as I manage to make it in front of what was once three little seeds. I caress a rose petal and feel energy surge through me, tickling my soul. 

I continue to drag my finger down a stem when I feel the sharp pain of a thorn. I bring my finger up to my mouth but find no mark left by the rose, "This cannot be happening". I run back inside, breathing heavily, convinced that I was only dreaming. 

I peak back outside and could still see the bright glow of the roses shining a path down in the garden. I grab my scissors and head back out. I pick the nearest rose and start cutting away at the branch, my confusion turned to fear.

The branch snaps off. I drop the flower and as I reach towards the next one, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I freeze. I close my eyes as I take in the familiar smell of vanilla. My breath catches in my throat as I slowly turn around. 

Words seem to have escaped me as a single tear marks a wet path down my cheek. She places her hand on my face and wipes it away, all the while smiling, "my dear sweet Lilly-Anne." I raise my eyes to meet hers and manage to get one word out before collapsing into her.

"Mom."

________________________________________________________________________________

Stay tuned for the next part **

Feel free to leave comments, suggestions or how you are feeling today ~ I hope you all have had the chance to step outside for a moment today, if not, take a second and do it now, breathe in the fresh air and stand still for a little while. xx

This short piece will be no longer than 10 000 words as I am participating in the Spring Fiesta short story competition. Lilly-Anne's story will come to an end sooner than you think...

****slow updates