Chapter One

𝐊𝐑𝐈𝐒
Rumors - NEFFEX
"Whispers all around say she's got a reputation"

𝐊𝐑𝐈𝐒Rumors - NEFFEX "Whispers all around say she's got a reputation"

   It was raining the day she showed up at my door. I wasn't particularly surprised by her appearance, in fact, I had most certainly expected it. But even I, could not have foreseen the state she turned up in... and how far down I would fall from that point.

   She had her mother's beauty and her father's determination. The way she had burst into her bar, demanding help had been... startling, to put it mildly. Not that I could blame the kid, she had only just lost her father. Her father, who had worked for me.

Bill had been somewhat of a father figure to me after my own dad kicked the bucket, he had been my right-hand man. Even as I worked on gathering information as to who had done it and why it was Bill who had been targeted instead of me, if it was to cripple me, this girl kept running around, distracting me with her hasty, impatient need to have revenge.

The first time I had seen her had been at her father's funeral, which I had arranged for.

She looked at me, eyes simmering with barely contained rage. After the service, she approached me, coming to a stop beside me as I lit a cigarette.

"Those can kill you, you know," she said by way of conversation.

I ignored her, pocketing my lighter in my pocket.

"Dad always said he tried to get you to stop."

And so he had. This was my first smoke in three years. I risked a glance at the girl, slightly startled by how truly ragged she looked. One wouldn't think she was only twenty.

"They say you were on the other side of the door when it happened." I finally said, turning slowly to properly look at her.

"He locked my room. All I heard were the gunshots. It was in the middle of the night." She sounded tired as if she had repeated it a hundred times.

"I have my best men out to track down the bastard. I trust you already have my number?"

She nodded.

"Good. I also trust that you know to contact me at the smallest hint of you being in any danger at all when you're out of the house?"

"What if I'm in danger while I'm in my house?"

I gave her a wry smile. "You won't be in your house; you'll be in mine. I promise you, no harm will come to you there."

She scowled, fists clenching. "Does this mean I'm a part of your... organization now?"

"No. I doubt your father would like you to lead the kind of life he did." I snapped, maybe a little too harshly.

"He seemed pretty happy working for you, from what I saw."