Preparations

Not long after Commander Cooper left there was another chime at the door. 

Christiana said, "Open," thinking that Cooper had returned. Instead, she found herself face to face with Miss Harrison.

"Hello," Miss Harrison said as she entered the room.

"Hello," Christiana replied.

"So, did Cooper come and talk with you?" Miss Harrison asked.

"Yep, she did. She told me she was the one who turned you into a vampire and thus is your mother in the eyes of the clan. Is that true?" Christiana asked.

"Yes, it is true," Miss Harrison confirmed. "Actually, she all but raised me during the voyage to Cooper's World so it wasn't that much of a transition for me."

"So you were originally one of the colonists?" Christiana asked.

"Yes, I was," Miss Harrison answered. "I was on Hope with the colonists who made up the First Wave."

"They have accounted for all the colonists, so that can't be true," Christiana objected.

"They accounted for all but three of the First Wave," Miss Harrison replied. "They made them into crew and sent those three back to Earth."

"You are talking about the Chosen," Christiana realized. "So you are saying that you are one of those three?"

"Exactly," Miss Harrison replied. Then with a deep bow, she continued, "Christy Harris at your service."

"Wait, I am a gee-emm Harris. That means that you are my biological mother!"

"Yes I am," Christy admitted. 

"Wait, I thought we were geneSisters." Christiana said.

"I said that I was something like a geneSister, but I never said what our relationship actually was. You just assumed that was the case. Besides, if I told you I was your geneMother before you knew about vampiric aging, then you would have thought that I was crazy."

"Then you really are one of the Chosen?" Christiana asked.

"Yes, I was one of the three that you refer to as the Chosen," Christy admitted. "I must be a bit of a disappointment to you. After all, the way people revere the Chosen the real thing must be a real letdown."

"No, you are not a disappointment in my eyes. But you also are not the demigod that the history classes make you out to be."

"Nope. I am just me. Nothing spectacular. Just a young vampire trying to make my way in a hostile world," Christy said with a disparaging smile. "Now if you want a god, I can introduce you to one."

"What do you mean?"

"Once Haruhi is well, then we can discuss the matter in more detail. However, now is the time that you have to think about Haruhi's treatment," Christy reminded her geneDaughter.

"I think I have decided her course of treatment."

"What is your decision?" Christy asked.

"I think you should turn her into a vampire. It's the only way to ensure her survival. Plus, she would be miserable if she had to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair or even with the prosthetics available," Christiana said. "It would take away her mobility, freedom, and many of the things she does for fun."

"I think you are making the right decision."

"In my eyes, it is the only choice."

"I agree with you wholeheartedly."

---

The two of them agreed to turn Haruhi into a vampire the following day. That gave enough time for them to inform Haruhi-nee about the process and what she could expect to happen.

Haruhi-nee wasn't even slightly upset about the procedure she would have to go through. If anything, she was excited about it. This was especially true when she learned it would ensure that she would be able to walk and run again.

"This also means that I will get to become a blood drinking stranger," Haruhi-nee said with a smile.

That night, as she tossed and turned in her bunk on Hope, Christiana mulled over her decision. 'Am I making the right choice? Not being able to come out during the day is a major drawback.' Still, if it meant that Haruhi-nee would survive, then she was willing to try just about anything.

Finally, the morning came. Christiana had gotten very little sleep since she was up half the night because of her worrying.

While changing from her nightgown into a freshly washed jet-black Keeper uniform, she thought, 'I really hope that today goes well. Haruhi's very survival depends on being turned.'

Just then, the chime indicating that she had a visitor sounded. "Open!" she called out to the door.

Standing there was Miss Harris. "Are you ready to come and watch the turning?"

Upon hearing this, Christiana replied, "Yes I am."

"Then let's go or we will be late."

---

When they arrived in sickbay, Haruhi-nee was awake and in good spirits.

"Hello Chris-imouto," she said with a smile. Then, after turning her head a little she said, "Hi Miss Harrison, are you ready to do this?"

"As ready as I'm going to be," she said with a grin. "However, we have to wait for Cooper to get here before we can begin."

"Cooper? I don't think I have met someone with that name," Haruhi said.

"You know her as Miss Coop," Christiana informed her.

"Why is she coming to my turning?" Haruhi asked.

"That is a long story," Miss Harrison began. "I will explain things once you have recovered. Just let me say that there is a very valid reason for her to be here."

"Ok," Haruhi-nee said, acting as if she was no longer concerned. "If she wants to come, then let her."

"There may be one other person, but the person is very busy and may just ask you to report to them once your recovery is well on its way,"

"Who would that be? Do I know them?" Haruhi said.

"No, you have them yet, since they stay on Hope most of the time."

"Okay, the more the merrier."

Christiana had stayed out of the cheerful banter. 'Who could the stranger be? Since they stay on the starship most of the time, they are probably a member of the crew.'

Just then, Cooper arrived and Haruhi-nee said, "It's good to see you again Miss Cooper."

"Likewise," Cooper said. "It has been a few months since we last ate dinner together. How have you been?"

"I have been better," Haruhi-nee said with an ironic grin.

"True," Cooper responded. "I was just being polite. I am sorry if it came out wrong."

Haruhi just snickered. "It's okay. I probably would say the same thing in your situation."

"Christiana, how are you holding up?" Miss Cooper asked.

"I'm just waiting for her to make a full recovery so I can hug her again like I used to."

"Aww," Haruhi-nee responded. "That's so sweet of you,"

"It's the truth," Christiana admitted. "I don't know how I would go on without you."

Just then a young-looking, blonde man entered the sickbay.

"You made it!" Cooper said.

"Yes, and it looks like everyone is here. Let's get the ball rolling, shall we?"

---