IV

If it weren't for everyone throwing me angry stares, walking into the dining room would have been nearly amazing. Expensive chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, dazzling crystal light, and the space was filled with voices and music from men who had had too much to drink. As I strolled alongside Kat, my shoes clicked across the white marble floor. 

"Mr. Manetto requested that you sit next to him throughout our supper," she said just above a whisper as she led me to my seat next Roman. She bent her head and moved behind our chairs, standing against the wall. 

As I took my seat, I gently nodded towards Roman.  His white hair was slicked back with only a few strands hanging down his forehead.  He was clothed in a black vest and a white button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up.

"Good evening, Mr. Manetto," I responded confidently, nodding towards the other seated guys, who just gave me snide glances. Roman remained silent. 

"Don't let them get to you." Said a man that was seated next to me. Taking in his apprentice, I realized he was one of the guys that ran through my apartment, specifically the one who embarrassed me with the private box.

"How ironic that you say that," I say, jokingly, with a friendly eye roll.

He shrugged in response, "I was just trying to lighten the mood." Referring to earlier. He reached his hand out, "My name is Finn."

In a handshake, I firmly grasped his hand. Before he could finish his sentence, waiters began placing plates of food in front of each person, and the room fell silent. No one dared to talk or lift a fork until the servants were  finished. 

Roman stood up, clinking his drink with a fork. "You may begin."

That was all he said before the room was once again filled with music and boisterous men. I sat quietly, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings and relishing the delicious cuisine. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, even the servants. Everyone except Roman.

His brows were furrowed, causing wrinkles in his forehead, as if he was deep in thought.

"Keep frowning like that and you'll age faster." I teased him, hoping to divert his attention.

"With a job like this, I'll be surprised if I live for another year." He tiredly said, picking up his plate and beginning to walk away, "Come join me in my office after dinner."

The rest of the meal flew by, partially because I couldn't help but be interested in Roman, and partly because Finn was the only one who spoke to me. He taught me the house rules and everyone's job. Finn was also on the council.  It comforted me that I already had someone in the place I could call my friend.

"All you've really got to do is simply do what Roman tells you to do, no questions asked," Finn commented as he drank a large glass of red wine.

"What is that exactly? Kill people and rape women?" I joked with the stereotype, but Finn's countenance darkened, and it appeared that I had struck a nerve.

"Now, let's get one thing straight. We may kill people, sell drugs, tear families apart, and feed on people's fear, but we will never and have never touched a woman in that way."

"Then explain why someone did."

Finn waved his hand through the air, "That bastard wasn't even on our side. We discovered evidence that he was selling our information to a number of mafia factions. We had planned to murder him, but you saved us the trouble."

The last sentence confused me. "Then why am I getting punished for something you guys were already going to do?"

People began to leave the dining room; some were having difficulty walking, while others had already passed out in their chairs. Finn stood up as well, wiping his mouth with a napkin and smirking. 

"I think Mr. Manetto has taken a liking to you. That is the reason. Do not consider this a punishment. Consider it his way of rewarding you for your bravery, or perhaps he sees something in you that no one else does." He bowed his head and walked away, his words sinking into my bones.

After getting help along the way, I finally made it to Romans' office. I knocked on the door quietly and walked in once I got a response.

"You wanted to see me, Mr. Manetto." I greeted him, nodding my head.

His office was decorated with book shelves that were stuffed full of all sorts of books. I glid my hand across the books as I walked towards his desk. The room was lit by a dim chandelier, a lot less fancy than the ones in the dining room. And then there was Roman.

He had thin-framed reading glasses on and his forehead rested on his hands. When he looked up to see it was me, his tired expression disappeared.

"Yeah, I did. Take a seat," As I sat in front of his desk, he cleared his throat. "Just wanted to go over your new schedule for the next six months." He handed me a copy of my daily activities. "So first, breakfast with me at 8 a.m. Your training begins at 10 am and lasts through 5 pm. Dinner will start at 6, which you'll be having in my office with me every night until bed. Each day I'll be contacting your instructors to make sure you're doing what you're told. " Roman sits back in his chair and lights up a cigarette, taking a deep breath.

I looked at the piece of paper that would govern my life for the next six months or so.The paper had a time table on it that covered every day of the week of what I was supposed to do and the everyday rules I had to follow.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow at breakfast." I said after he gave me permission to exit his office.

I tried to digest the events that happened today as I walked back to my room. This environment is not for the weak and I need to prepare myself. Finn's words came to mind, "He sees something in you that no one else does." Something about those words made me feel confident, and a part of me appreciates receiving validation from someone like Roman. Maybe everything will be fine.

As I turned down the hall towards my room, I accidentally bumped into someone. Their belongings fell to the floor.

"I'm truly sorry. I didn't notice you." I assisted in picking up the dropped items, hoping the person would not lash out at me. However, there was no response.I looked up to see who it was, and I was speechless. Before I could say anything, the person grabbed their belongings and  ran off into the maze of hallways. 

____

Authors note: Here's chapter 4! Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!