𝕿𝕿𝕽𝕭: ch01.2, homecoming

ch01: homecoming
part 2

ch01: homecoming part 2

<dame>

Sunday
June 5,
Around 9/10 pm

𝕴𝖙 had become dark before people had begun to leave the park. Dame was determined to wait until his aunt and sister showed up, but it was getting too late for Georgie to be out. With Sadé and Cole both gone and the day wrapping up, Dame had to make a decision about finding his way home. He was disappointed that his sister didn't show, but he knew not to show it. He stood from the table, digging through the cooler filled almost to the brim with melted ice until he found a drink to his liking. He felt a presence beside him urging him to look up. When he stood, he was face to face with his brother, Maurice, who had shown up to the cookout well after most of the attendees had left.

"Are you okay?" He asked Dame with a concerned look on his face. Dame nodded, opening his can. "You sure?" He asked again, walking with him as they left from under the roof of the shelter.

"I'm good, bro. Thank you for asking." He responded sarcastically with a fake smile.

"You need a ride home?" He asked, looking around noticing that everyone Dame was cool with was gone. Dame nodded and the two of them slipped off without saying goodbye. The entire time between them getting in the car and leaving the island, Maurice was itching to ask Dame a hundred questions. Once they were on Woodward, he broke his silence by first turning down the radio and glancing over in Dame's direction.

"So, how did it go?" He asked, "I had to work today so I think I missed everything by the time I got there." He opened a bag of chips he swiped from the cookout. Dame shook his head, still looking out the window.

"Nah." He said, disappointment evident in his voice, "you ain't miss nothing." He said simply, leaving Maurice with even more questions.

"What? What happened when Aajané showed up?"

"She didn't."

"What about Uncle Cliff?"

"He was there."

"So..." he trailed off, wondering what to say next. He could visibly see that Dame was upset about it. But, he knew Dame wouldn't say anything.

"You going home or you wanna come to my pops house?"

"You can take me to Cole house. If you don't mind."

"Nah, that's cool." He nodded.

Maurice turned the music back up. They rode with only the music playing for about ten minutes before Dame asked, "Have you met her?" He watched Reese intently, waiting for an answer. He could tell he was hesitant. "So that's a yes?"

"I have, yeah." He got out slowly. "But, I met her as my cousin. My dad and Uncle Cliff are close so we go visit them at least once a year. Usually in the summertime. Sometimes around Christmas. Been going ever since I can remember."