one

one

two

three

four

That was how many raindrops Onika had counted on the car window on her way home.

It was also the number of how many life threatening conditions Onika possessed.

"Atleast it's an even number." Carol suddenly said and Onika laughed a bit before peering over to Carol Maraj. Her mother, and her number one supporter through this mess Onika has to through.

"How can you read my mind?" Onika asked and Carol shook her head. "I know my daughter. You do this each time it rains." Carol said with a hinted smile in her voice. 

Onika smiled as well. It made her happy to see her mother happy.

It was rare nowadays.

And Onika felt at fault most of the time.

"How was school today?" Carol asked and Onika sighed. "Same old, same old." She mumbled playing with the draw strings on her sweatpants. That was the same answer she gave her mother 5/7 days in the week.

Carol frowned a bit, she knew that didn't necessarily mean school was good today.

"Did Aubrey annoy you as usual?" Carol asked and Onika laughed a bit again. Carol loved hearing that sound. It made her happier. She loved seeing her daughter happy. Even if it's for split seconds.

"Yes, ma. He did." Onika said with a smile on her voice. Aubrey—was her best-friend. Through it all, he's been there.

Every hospital visit.

Every scary Asthma attack.

He caught her when she was so dizzy because of her low blood sugar.

"He's a good kid." Carol said mostly to herself and Onika nodded. She agreed. "He's the best, yeah." Onika said directing her sight back up to the window. The rain was letting up.

She loved the rain, it was one of the things she could touch without worrying it would make her sick.

She couldn't say the same about many other things.

She watched her mother pull up to their house. Her mother made the smart decision to move out of the apartment complex they were previously in, to avoid the risk of infections. That may seem just like common colds for some—but could very well cost Onika her life.

Onika stepped out of the car, she didn't mind that her hair was getting wet. Her mother rolled her eyes, "I just straightened your hair missy. You know how much of a hassle you have growing out of your scalp?" Carol asked and Onika smirked.

"I get it from you."

"Oh shut up." Carol chuckled out as she pulled out her keys. Onika hung on to the railing of their porch.

"I think I get the attitude from dad though." Onika suddenly said and Carol peered over her shoulder to look at her daughter. She gave a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Oh, for sure." She confirmed. She opened the door and Onika stepped inside—she didn't notice the several paws hitting their wooden floor before being trampled.

"Sunshine! Jeez! Down!" Carol yelled sternly, and the large Akita sat straight. Onika laughed at the slobber on her cheek. "Gosh! You're so gross." She said as the dog casually panted and smiled.

"You really missed me huh boy?" Onika asked and the dog dug its nose into Onikas neck. Carol smiled warmly at the sight, before she heard a few coughs out of her daughter.