Prologue

Staggering steps soon lead to Error crumbling onto the floor. He had travelled far enough, refusing to stop walking until his legs gave out. He rolled onto his side and stared off into endless white. This was his prison, this would be where his dust would be if he ever died and even less likely, was found. His legs ached and his throat was parched, but he ignored it, staring off and grinding the tips of his phalanges against the floor, he did not know if it was to gain back feeling in them or to somehow ground him, but the only sensation was unpleasant.

He had felt hate for so long, he thought that well would last forever. He was wrong. That hate had burned out, it left him cold and tired. He could not force himself to destroy any more, he just wants to rest and be forgotten in time, a legend parents tell stories about, but are never actually true. He is real, but he does not want to be.

Error closed his eyes, he refused to acknowledge any fear or paranoia that he felt and forced himself to sleep, as whispers picked up in volume and pace.

People are pathetic, they relied too heavily on things like love and emotions. It truly eluded Fresh, he spent so much of his existence without feelings, for a long time, just a husk, before becoming something more. A while ago, he was granted the ability to feel, but it was not the experience he thought it would be. Instead of his stolen soul pounding when he was excited or his eye lights widening in awe at something he saw, he just felt a burning in his chest and an ugly longing for the things he could not have.

Fresh was angry and jealous, he wanted to feel happy and loved, but he could not. He could only watch as others fell in love, married, and had offspring. He would never experience that. He had felt nothing but jealousy at Blue and Dream's wedding, even if he plastered a smile on his face and congratulated them with a gift of marigolds in a vase. At the afterparty he walked off, not feeling up to pretending for the rest of the night.

It was a month later that Fresh finally broke. He let loose on an Outertale, spreading his virus, and turning the au to reflect his likeness. Corrupted monsters screamed in agony, which turned shrill as their voices got taken over by the virus. Fresh felt a new emotion, satisfaction.

Even though Error spent days travelling away from his spot, he still thought Ink would have found him by now and dragged him back, even if not to keep destroying. He was confused about how the artist could not find him after all this time, granted he never really installed a clock, so he did not know how long it had been. All he knew was that he did not care and wanted to be alone.

Staring into the distance, Error let some tears fall from his sockets. The voices picked up in volume, almost screaming into his non-existent ears. Ever since he stopped the voices have only gotten worse, insulting him, and mocking his choice to give up.

"You're nothing, but filth... you know that right?"

"I cannot believe you would stop; it is so boring here! I want to hear them scream while you rip their souls apart!"

"Coward! Coward! Coward!"

"I think your wrists are getting a little too smooth... cut them"

"That's a clever idea!"

"Yeah! Cut yourself Error!"

"Do it! Do it! Do it!"

The voices kept screaming at him, refusing to stop. He glanced at his phalanges and saw the marrow-stained floor, as well as steady trails of marrow dripping down the tips of his fingers. More tears fell from his sockets as he screamed at the voices to stop as he forced the claw-like parts of his fingers into his wrist. Scratching and pulling at the bone, till the marrow was dripping out quickly.