Chapter 4

Bella screams in her sleep. The light turns on thanks to Amir and Charlie hurries to her side, gently shaking her awake.

"You're alright, Bells. You're okay" Charlie said. Amir feels bad for her nightmares. Her eyes open, tears streaming down her cheeks. He doesn't quite know what to do. He hands her a glass of water from her bedside table. She sits up, sips.

Charlie pulls the dreamcatcher from her bedpost. "This thing's not working very well"

"It's... not as bad as it was" Bella said.

"Yeah right.  I know what it's like, you know. When your mom left me. I had a hell of a time. Imagined doing all kinds of crazy things, just to stop the pain then Mina came into my life" Charlie said smiling.

"But hanging out with Jacob seems to help get your mind off... things" Charlie said. "He's been keeping me afloat"

"That's good. He's a good guy" Charlie said calmly her down. Amir walks back to his room and flops on the bed drifting asleep.

--

Bella drives along the La Push cliffs. Jacob rides shotgun. Amir in the trunk enjoying the breeze. Amir looks out into the ocean watching the waves go by.   In distance on the cliff four man stand on the rocky ledge of the cliff They wear nothing but cut-off shorts. They push each other, rough housing. Amir watches them.

"Isn't that... Sam Uley?" Bella asked.

Jacob speaks bitterly, "And his cult"

Suddenly, two of the guys throw a struggling Jared over the cliff. Bella slams on the brakes. Jumps out of the truck. Amir watches them. Jacob climbs out after her.

"Oh my God! Stop them!" Bella said. Bella runs toward them. But Jacob's laughter slows her. "They're not really fighting, Bella. They're cliff diving"

"What, on purpose?" Bella asked.

"Scary as hell, but a total rush" Jacob said. Amir knew right away what Bella will most likely try now.

One of the guys takes a running start and flings himself into the air, twisting and cartwheeling down. Bella is intrigued, sees the potential for adrenaline - for Edward.

"Most of us jump from lower down" Jacob said.

"Think I could?" Bella asked.

"Man, first motorcycles, now cliff diving?" Jacob asked. 

"You said it was a rush" Bella asked. Amir gets out the truck and walk towards them

"If you guys ever want to do that. Please invite me, I would love to do that" Amir said watching them.

"Maybe on a warmer day. And not from the top. We'll leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples" Jacob said. She looks at him. "You don't like them?"

"They think they run this place. Acting all bad ass, calling themselves "protectors."" Jacob said.

Oh, Jacob if only you knew.  Amir said in his thoughts shaking his head. "What are they protecting?" Bella asked.

"The tribe, the land, their right to be jerks. Embry used to call them hall monitors on steroids, now look at him" Jacob said. Bella looks closer, Sees the fourth guy is Embry, hair now short, thin frame filled out, laid back expression gone. It pains Jacob to see him.

"That's Embry? I didn't recognize him. What happened to him?" Bella asked.

"Puberty hit him" Amir mumbles out laughing. Making Jacob laugh, "He missed some school - then, out of nowhere, he's following Sam around. Same thing happened with Paul and Jared. They weren't even friends, now Sam owns them. Sam keeps giving me this look, like he's waiting for me or something; it's kind of freaking me out"

"Maybe you should just avoid them" Bella said.  "I try but... " She sees he's unnerved, instinctively hugs him reassuringly.

"Hey. If it gets worse, we'll go to my dad. Or you can come stay with us" Bella said.

Amir eyes widen, "There is barely any room now Bella"

"We'll make some room" Bella said.

"Thanks" Jacob said. He holds her more.

"If this is how you're going to react, I'll freak out more often"

Bella realizes she crossed a line and covers, playfully shoving him. As they head to the truck, Amir watches them from the back of the truck. Sam is looking directly at them. Then he turns and dives over the edge, cutting a clean line into the water.

Amir decided he will shift soon and enjoy the nature. Its been a couple days and he haven't let his inner beast out in a long time.