Escapades

"Nainaaa... Finally mai office jaane wala hu..."

I still remember the way Sameer had grabbed me in a bone-crushing hug.

Our Exam was finally over and Mamaji asked Sameer to join the Office on the next day itself. We were happy that finally a new chapter will begin in Sameer's life... his professional journey... We both were dreaming of him sitting on his chair in his cabin, something that was his, something that Nanu had kept only for him. We were excited for his first day, but when he returned in the evening, he was a bit low. Upon asking him, he told me that he wasn't given a cabin and was given work like an apprentice. I consoled him stating that he should only focus on learning the business and not worry about his cabin. His favorite dishes in the dinner and a long passionate kiss by me on the stairs, and Sameer was back to his normal happy self.

On his second day, he was ready for breakfast wearing white shirt and black trousers. He was looking so handsome, charming and suave in that attire. I couldn't take my eyes off him and he knew his trick was working on me. By giving a peck on my lips, he left for the office and I busied myself in my own stuff.

In the afternoon, Sameer called me. "Kya kar rahi ho jaan-e-man?"

I giggled listening to him. I like it when Sameer becomes filmy just for me. "Kuchh khas nahi... Bass...Tumhara intezaar."

"Naina, meri ek wish hai... jo sirf tum poori kar sakti ho..." His voice was low and husky.

"Bolo..." I replied in my usual tone.

"Naina, mai sadhe-paanch baje tak ghar aaunga... aur mai chahta hu ki tum chhat par meri raah dekho.... mera intezaar karo... Karogi na??"

There was a pinch of emotion hidden behind his hoarse voice, something close to his heart other than just a wish. I agreed to him and he told me that there's a surprise for me as well that could help me in fulfilling his wish. I opened the cupboard as told by Sameer and found a paper bag with fine prints. I took the bag to the dressing table and found two boxes in it. One box was opened and I saw a beautiful dark pink saree, with a heavy border and a matching blue colored blouse. The blouse had a deep neck on the back and a dori. The other box contained jewelry as I guessed. It was a set of necklace and earrings. I wondered how and when Sameer arranged all these things, but in the end, I knew my husband was a deadly combination of a creative and romantic person. He could definitely do that.

By 5pm, I was decked in the pink saree and the matching jewelry gifted by Sameer. I applied only kajal, put a bindi and just used some vaseline on my lips. Taking matching bangles from a set and wearing the golden high heel sandals gifted again by Sameer during our engagement, I was ready to fulfill his sweetest wish.

I was standing near the parapet wall on the terrace. It was such a simple and cute wish by Sameer but I could still feel butterflies in my stomach. The calm and peaceful sunset, the wind, the tranquil environment and I, bedecked here waiting for my husband.... everything just felt like a dream... a fairytale that I used to imagine for myself as a kid. As I grew up, the grandeur of my dreams and the size of the castle of my prince charming shrunk, due to the harsh comments of Taiji on my fate. I used to think that I wasn't destined to live a life like that. But at the moment, I was actually living one. I was living my dream. My vision was blurred as tears made an appearance in my eyes.

The main gate of our bungalow was opened and Sameer entered with his bike. I hadn't wiped my tears yet but my eyes could only see him. He tried to hide himself while getting inside the house, his moves clearly hinting that he wanted to surprise me and it made me chuckle. Cleaning my eyes, I stood waiting as he wished.

I heard footsteps and I pretended as if I didn't hear it. I didn't want to ruin Sameer's excitement even though I was aware of every bit of it. He walked closer to me, taking one step at a time, as if capturing my back in his eyes. My nostrils welcomed his white musk perfume and his own body scent first. As he stood behind me, my breath quickened for no reason and his body heat started melting me. I took a deep breath, ready for whatever he had planned. And soon, his big but warm palms were on my eyes. A smile appeared on my lips and my heart was filled with contentment. I felt so happy at the moment. Feeling his hands with mine, I slowly turned.