thirty-two || clearings and confidentiality

"Eitan, let's go!"

Footfall thundered down the corridor. The fluorescent bulbs above flickered in the elevator.

"Just get in!"

"Tatum. Tatum."

Tate lurched up from the cushy pillow as Billy's voice pushed past blurred Russian shouting. Her head tipped to the side, eyes squinted shut against the morning light burning through the window.

"Sorry, I-"

She snapped her hand back as Billy put his on top of it. She quickly ran her knuckles across her eyes as she sat up in bed. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Her voice cut out as she was finally able to take Billy in in the morning light, his hands raised in peace and a concerned look in his eyes. "I'm sorry." She reached for one of his hands and took it in both of hers. "I'm sorry."

Billy studied her eyes before setting the other hand on top of hers as he sat on the edge of the bed. Her gently ran his thumb along the top of her hand before he cleared his throat a little. "Elena and Joyce have breakfast ready."

"I'm starving," she sighed with a light smile.

"You're cold." Billy uncupped his hands to squeeze both of hers. He blew a warm breath on top of them. "You feel okay?"

Tatum nodded despite the cashmere fabric of her sweater clinging to her from sweat. When had she fallen asleep? She remembered climbing in without waking Nina just before the sun was coming up but the last thing she could think of was staring at the ceiling. "Yeah, yeah I'm okay. Just a little sore, if anything."

Billy's eyes stayed on hers. He brushed a thumb along her jaw softly, his lips pursed together. "Is the person that hurt you dead?"

She bit the inside of her lip as she nodded. "They all are," she agreed quietly.

"Good." He leaned in and kissed her cheek, then her forehead.

Tatum let out a genuine breath of relief as he pulled her into a hug. She rested her head against his chest and closed her eyes. The goosebumps that had littered her neck when she woke up started to dissipate as she breathed in his familiar scent of old leather and cigarettes.

Max yelped as she turned into the doorway, gagging dramatically as she covered her eyes.

Tate and Billy broke out into grins as they separated, Billy quick to mock her back.

     "It'll take time to get used to, all right?" Max declared as she lowered her hand. "But if he's not moping, then it works for me."

     Billy ran a hand through his close-cropped curls as he chuckled despite an eye roll. "What do you want, Max?"

     "The guys are riled up," she explained, tossing a mass of red waves over her shoulder. "Something about a walk. They told me to come get you guys."

     "A walk by the safe house in broad daylight?" Tate asked with a raised brow. "No way the big boys will agree to that."

     "Well, we were waiting for you, right? Shouldn't that lighten the rules?" She paused as she scanned the ninteen-year-old's face. "You don't need plastic surgery, do you?"

     Tatum laughed as she started to pull the bed covers aside. "No plastic surgery. Give me a minute, I'll be right there."

     Billy rose from the bed as Max retreated. He ran a hand along the back of his neck but lingered as Tate rifled through the few clothes that she had.