13

Beep. Beep. Beep. That was all her pounding head heard as she opened her blurrt eyes. Darkness. THat was what she saw when she winced from the pain, her eyes closing tightly as the sounds of machines filled the air around her. She knew this noise, she knew where she was but nothing could explain her blurry eyes or the wires she could feel around her body. Pain. It was most of what she could feel. "Ouch."

She tried to open her eyes again, but the images still moved and she realized just how tired she was. It was her, not some other patient, she was in the bed and as she felt a sharp blast of pain, she knew she was the patient. Not someone else. Then she felt pressure on her hand, and she moved it, feeling something soft and curly below, but she just closed her eyes tightly. "What..."

"You're awake..." Derek breathed, sitting up from having his head rested on her hospital bed, holding her hand that had an IV in it.

"Oh God..." Meredith winced.

"Don't try to move..." He whispered, as she tried to sit up but quickly stopped from the pain.

"My head..." She gasped, a single tear dripping from her cheek.

"I know..." Derek breathed, leaning over and gently kissing her forehead.

"My head..."

"They should be in with your medicine soon..."

"Did I get into an accident?"

"No..."

'I don't...my eyes..." She winced, closing her eyes.

"Just rest." He whispered, lightly stroking her cheek.

"Why does my head hurt?"

"You fell..."

"Mmm...." She didn't react much at all, only taking a deep and tired breath.

"You don't remember anything?"

"I just remember Hawaii...he was going to Hawaii...and then...I woke up here."

"Don't worry about him right now."

"My head..."

"You...it was a pretty hard hit."

"Hit?" She was sick, something made her want to be sick.

"You're going to be fine.

"Will they send Bradley back in soon?"

"Mer...he's not here." Derek whispered.

"He's in the hallway."

"No."

"Derek..." He heard her voice shake slightly, though she was way too weak.

"He's not here, Mer." Derek repeated, rubbing her hand.

"But I'm hurt."

"He..."

"Hmm?"

"Meredith...he hit you..."

"No he didn't...I got into a car accident on the way to Hawaii." Meredith choked, wishing she could keep her eyes open.

"Okay..." Derek chuckled. Maybe now wasn't the right time to tell her what had happened.

"Am I dying?"

"No...No, you're not dying."

"Mmm...it feels like it."

"You're going to be in pain for awhile but you're going to be just fine."