♦ chapter three ♦

Signy and Natasha, now accompanied by Thor, reached the lab to an already tense environment which didn't bode well for the reason for their visit

Signy and Natasha, now accompanied by Thor, reached the lab to an already tense environment which didn't bode well for the reason for their visit. Stark, Banner, and Rogers had been busy while the others were getting information from Loki. They'd discovered some troubling information regarding SHIELD's intended use of the Tesseract.

"Did you know about this?" Bruce asked Natasha as the three entered the room.

"You wanna think about removing yourself from this environment, Doctor?" Nat said.

He chuckled. "I was in Calcutta. I was pretty well removed."

"Loki is manipulating you."

"And you've been doing what, exactly?"

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

"Yes and I'm not gonna leave because suddenly you get a little twitchy." Bruce turned the hanging monitor towards them slightly, pointing at it with the arm of his glasses. "I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

"Because of him," Fury said, pointing at Thor.

"Me?" Thor questioned.

"Watch the finger, sir. You're not the Director of us," Signy interrupted.

Fury glared at Signy for a moment before continuing, "Exactly, Ms. Odindotter. Exactly. Last year, Earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned."

"Well, that much is accurate, but our people want nothing but peace with your planet."

"But you're not the only people out there, are you?" Fury said, his focus narrowing on her. "And you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, that can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the Cube?" Steve intervened.

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it. And his allies," Thor said. "It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war."

"Great plan," Signy sassed.

"You forced our hand," Fury argued. "We had to come up with something."

"A nuclear deterrent," Tony chimed in. "Because that always calms things down."

"Remind me again how you made your fortune, Stark."

"I'm sure if Stark still made weapons, he would be neck-deep-" Steve said.

"Hold on. How is this now about me?" Tony questioned.

"I'm sorry, isn't everything?"

"I thought humans were more evolved than this," Thor jabbed.

"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" Fury conflicted.