03

IMessage
Connie and Blyde

KitKerbab - what time are you coming over?

uhhh
like 12 ish?
dad said I have to revise
and then pops told him to let me live
so that was our compromise

KitKerbab - okay cool

cool
see you later

KitKerbab - i guess you will
KitKerbab - oh and
KitKerbab - bring your english revision with you
KitKerbab - we might as well do it together

you just want to copy my superior notes
but
okay

KitKerbab - shh
KitKerbab - don't let my plan out 

idiot

---

Real Life

Phoebe arrived at the Connor's house at exactly quarter past twelve, her bag slung over one shoulder, phone in hand. she messaged Kit to come and let her in but when the door opened it wasn't the person she was expecting. 

"Phoebe!" 

"Mrs C!" 

the two women hugged before Kit's mum pulled away and tapped Phoebe's arm. 

"How many times have i told you, just call me mum, or mumma c."

"of course." Phoebe smiled grateful for the motherly affection. 

Mumma C asked the routine parent questions of 'how's college? how are your dads? are you hungry?' before they heard a thundering noise from the stairwell, knowing her friend too well Phoebe took her shoes off ready to be yanked upstairs as soon as the thudding came to a halt.

"Kit Connor! how many times do i have to tell you not to run down the stairs!" 

Kit stood awkwardly in the hallway doorframe giving his mum an apologetic smile which she shook her head at before turning back to Phoebe. 

"well, you two have fun, dinners at 7. Phoebe darling, what time do Ray and Peter want you home?"

"whenever you want me gone, they don't mind me staying later here, they know you." 

"that's sweet, i'll drop you home okay?" 

"thank you." 

"mum, can we go now?" 

"yes okay, of you pop. enjoy yourselves, but make sure you revise Mister!" 

"yes mum." 

Phoebe grinned at her best friend before he grabbed her sleeve and pulled her upstairs.

"okay, i thought we'd revise first, because neither of us want to then we can actually enjoy ourselves." 

"ugh fine." Phoebe sighed gently throwing her bag at the end of Kit's bed before grabbing her Modern Poetry book out of the top with her pencil case and folder.

"so organised..." 

Kit laughed as he grabbed the messy pile of paper and one pen off his desk with his poetry book that was the only thing out of the lot that looked in good condition.

"so unorganised..." 

"shh, i've had other things to worry about." 

"yeah yeah, i know." 

"what poems shall we look at, mademoiselle?"

"uhh let's try the first 10 and see what happens?" 

"over-achieving, i love it." 

the pair spent the next three hours looking into the poetry they had to know off by heart for their exam. neither of them wanting to really address the elephant in the room - Kit leaving again. 

"i'm going to get a drink, i'm revised out, tea?" 

"ew." 

"okay coffee?" 

"of course. bla-" 

"black two sugars, i know." 

"you are too good for me." 

"i know." 

while Kit was gone Phoebe packed up her revision and lay on his bed staring at the ceiling, thinking. it wasn't that she didn't want him to do his job of course Phoebe understood how important it was to him and would never stop him from fulfilling his dreams and passions but sometimes it got her a bit down, the amount of time she would go without any social interaction other than the odd face time or text. she was eternally grateful for every minute she got to spend with her best friend but sometimes she just wished they had more time to spend together like other teens instead of this scenario they found themselves in more often than not.

deep in thought she didn't notice that Kit had come back into the room before the bed sunk beside her and he wiped the tears that had started to form in the corner of her eye.

"thoughts?"

"hmm..." 

"you know i'm not actually leaving you? i would never - ever - do that to you." 

"i know." she whispered putting her head on his shoulder. "i just-" 

"i know." 

they spent the next ten minutes hugging on the bed till Kit got up and put a film on the tv.

"of course you picked Marvel." Phoebe laughed.

"uh yeah, besides it's your favourite." 

"Ragnarok?" 

"Ragnarok!"

"you are the best thing in my life i swear!" 

"yeah yeah, c'mon get cozy." Kit chuckled lifting his arm for her to cuddle into him. 

"best thing."