Prologue

"Agent Jackson, it's been a while since you came here."

"Yeah, I've been... busy."

"So, I've heard. Seems like it's been a trying time for you. Well... Are you ready for your session?"

Percy leaned back in his chair, looking up at the smooth white ceiling above him. "What do I even say?"

"Anything. Everything. Whatever you feel like I need to hear at this very moment. Whatever you feel you need to hear. Tell me a story."

"Okay." The demigod patted his thighs once, letting out a sharp breath of air as he gathered his thoughts together. "Okay. I'll tell you a story." He cleared his throat, glancing at the woman sitting across from him with a patient smile. "I wish I could tell you a nice one, that you wanted one."

Ms. Walsh's smile softened, and she placed her pencil down on her table so she could smooth down her pretty ankle-length purple skirt. "Tell me a nice story in our next session. For now, I want to know about why you felt like you ran away."

"Why I ran away... Well, if we're going into that, then I'll have to start at the moment where a skeleton in a leather jacket and Tims changed my views on some things."

His therapist, a petite woman with chestnut brown hair and eyes like pages in a book, settled back in her chair to listen to a broken man tell a story of the ages.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

words: 237

song: 100 Bad Days - AJR (audio)