Rainbow in the Flame

Loooooong update!
Please take breaks in between if you want to and don't stress your eyes.

Content Warning: The following piece of work contains scenes about sexual assault.

"Amma yen ma indha pudavai katti vidura?" whined Sivaangi, glaring at the spiritless and monotonous saree placed on her shoulder.

"Vera yendha pudavai venum unakku?" her mother, Lakshmi gnashed her teeth in anger, skillfully unfolding and then wrapping and tucking the cotton saree around her daughter's waist.

"Enakku andha pink colour pudavai dha pidikum. Adhula dha stones la ir-"

"Vaaya moodu" Lakshmi yelled and raised her hand to smack her mouth like she always does but Sivaangi tactfully bent sideways, saving herself from getting hit.

Lakshmi glared at her making Sivaangi stick her tongue out and pass on a diabolic smile.

When she was about to finish her work, Lakshmi looked up at Sivaangi to find her pouting and huffing.

"Inaiku indha puduvai dha kattanum. Aprama unakku yendha pudavai venumo, adha kattiko" she articulated trying very hard to compose herself.

Lakshmi was extremely tensed and frantic. She should be.

"Yen inaiku idha kattanum?" queried Sivaangi dubiously, scrunching her eyes and tapping her chin with her forefinger.

Her mother let out an irritated sigh, simultaneously securing the pleats on her blouse with a safety pin.

"Kalyanam na koora pudavai dhaan kattanum" she answered politely in an attempt to maintain her cool and stoicism.

"Oho!" exclaimed Sivaangi, grasping the new information and the name of the lifeless saree.

After adjusting and fixing the creases on her saree, Lakshmi impatiently pushed Sivaangi forward and made her sit on the small stool in front of the mirror.

Sivaangi's eyes widened in delight looking at her reflection in the mirror. Was it really her?

A bashful smile graced her lips. The saree wasn't that bad.

"Pah! Na evlo azhaga iruken la?" she exclaimed with her big orbs dilated, running her palms along the folds of the saree.

"Hmm" came her mother's response filled with non-chalance.

Sivaangi admired herself, turning her body to the left and then to the right and repeating the same action again and again.

To her eyes, she looked as beautiful as those heroines who dress up as brides in the movies.

Small and sultry. Fair and august. Timid and godly.

Lakshmi placed a round red bindi in between Sivaangi's eyebrows, which seemed like the moon's procession across the river, adding charm to her already divine face.

Just then Sivaangi heard someone calling out for her mother.

"Indha..." Lakshmi hurriedly handed a small box to Sivaangi and instructed, "Idhula konjam nagai laa iruku. Takkunu ellathayum maatitu thayaar-ah iru" she scampered out immediately.