CHAPTER #15

Life is not a matter of chance...it is a matter of choice.-  Ka

CHAPTER # 15

By the time they returned late Sunday afternoon from their kayaking trip, the Cliff Hangers were all getting along.  Ezra, Chris and Daisy were joking around, even teasing each other. Peter was happy to be back as well, due to missing his wife Sophie.  To follow the same rules as he asked of his kids, they waited until the curtains were drawn and his office door was closed, before caressing and kissing hello.

"How was everything while we were gone?" Peter asked his wife.

Sophie smiled, "as well as it ever is.  The Trackers completed their solos, Mark is getting along with the males on his team, Sun Dogs and Ridge Runners finished building the new dorm.  On Monday we have the electrician coming and the plumber on Wednesday."

"Wow, maybe I should go away more often," Peter teased her.

"What about you, how are the Cliff Hangers doing?" Sophie asked.

"Daisy, Ezra and Chris are finally getting along.  The others are the same as always.  And I found out that Chris is hiding family issues from me, because she's worried about the repercussions of me reporting it to the authorities."

"What family issues?  How much more emotional hell can that girl carry?"

Peter shrugged.  "I overheard her telling Daisy that her parents, yes both of them, would beat her badly as a form of discipline or punishment. She told Daisy that one time it was so bad she couldn't sit down for a week and they told the school she was sick with the flu."

Sophie looked horrified.  "I'm guessing this was before her assault and rape?  No wonder she turns her feelings off when there is even mention of her family."

He nodded.  "I'm going to see what I can get out of her about her sister.  It could explain a lot about their dynamic too."

"I wonder if that's why she sought approval by the older men in her life.  Hence why they were able to manipulate her so easily," Sophie mused. 

"Anyway, I need a hot shower, care to join me?" Peter asked nuzzling her neck.

"A few things to finish up and I'll meet you back at home," Sophie promised with a wink.

When his wife left, Peter got a phone call from Lawerance Hastings High School. "Hi Peter it's Bob.  I was wondering if you have time to meet me in town tonight? I have a favour to ask."

"What time?"

"How's 8 pm?  Dinner on me, bring your wife too."

"Okay Bob, see you then."

Peter was definitely curious, it wasn't often that Bob asked him for a favour.  On the way back to their house, Peter told Sophie about the phone call. She was equally intrigued, but liked that they'd get a dinner out of him for their presence.  

"In the mean time I think we have a shower to get into?" Sophie asked seductively.

**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**

Later that evening they joined Bob at Rusty O'Brien's restaurant.  He waited until they were having desert, before he gave Peter some of the back story of his favour. When he was done, he waited for Peter and Sophie's answer.  Bob answered their questions and by the time dinner was completely over, just before they said good night, an agreement was reached.  Bob left with a huge smile on his face, he had gotten what he wanted.

"This could be just the good news that he needs, help him look towards the future. You have to admit Peter, he's come a long way in a short time.  He deserves it," Sophie said.

"I hope we made the right choice.  We'll tell him in the morning," Peter said.

**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**

When it was lunch time, Peter called Scott into his office.  He would talk to him about it first and then if Scott agreed, then they'd tell the rest of the Cliff Hangers.

"Don't worry you're not in trouble, have a seat Scott," Peter reassured.

"What's up?"

Peter explained Bob's offer and Scott was excited for the first time in a long time. He didn't really believe it, until he was shown the football jersey he'd be wearing.

"Bob will pick you up after school and drop you off after practice.  If everything goes well, we'll even take the rest of the Cliff Hangers to see you play at your first game.  But your grades can't slide either."

Scott had tears in his eyes. "Thank you Peter," he choked out.

Peter hugged him.  "You've proven yourself here and circumstance gives you the choice to work towards the future."

"Did Bob say how the position became available?" Scott asked.

"Mountain biking accident, he broke his leg in two places."

"Ouch, what's that, two to six months to heal? So he's out until next season?"

"Pretty much. You'll meet with him, the team captain and the coach first.  If they approve, then you start practice on Thursday," Peter explained.

"Can Mark toss me the ball, so I can practice before I meet them?" Scott asked.

"Go share your news and I'll talk to Mark," Peter said.

Scott went to find Shelby first and give her his news.  She ended up being with everyone else, so he told everyone at once.  They asked more questions than he had answers to, but they all were supportive.

"Well if you need someone to run sprints with, I volunteer to do that with you." Chris offered and gave him a high-five.

"Thanks, any help is welcome.  First I talk to them, then they'll try me out."

Peter joined them.  "Mark's on board and so is Roger.  I'll talk to a few of the other guys  that like to play football from the other groups."

"Roger's a cornerback if I think.  He took me down a few times when I first got here," Scott recalled.

"When do they come here to interview him Peter?" Shelby asked.

"Tomorrow, after school."

Auggie took the football out of Peter's hands, "then let's get started.  Peter you toss it and we'll try to take him down. Come on Cliff Hangers!"

"Nice try, but you all have afternoon classes to get to. Meet back here after your chores are done," Peter said.

Mark saw them as he came out from the main building.  "Congratulations Scott!" He said as he jogged over.

"Nothing's for sure yet, but thanks."

Shelby touched his face, "no doubt in our minds that you've got the position. You just have to believe in yourself, like we all do."

"I can't wait to get off this campus and go see him play his first game!" Chris said enthusiastically.

"Classes people, go on." Peter dismissed, breaking them up.

Sophie stood beside him as they watched the teens head to class.  "Scott's got a lot of work ahead of him."

"Either this will be the best thing for him, or the worst.  Only time will tell," Peter said.  "Join me for lunch?"

She smiled, "I thought you'd never ask."