CHAPTER #26

In wisdom gathered over time, I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.-  Ansel Adams

Peter hadn't seen Ezra this happy in a long time.  The sessions with him had improved as well.  Sophie reported that Brandy too seemed to be improving recently also.  They knew the two had been seen chatting alone together.  As always, when a budding relationship had positive results, the counsellors didn't interfere. 

"It's like I finally realize I don't need my parents together, to be happy.  And trying to find my birth parents is just a secondary need.  My happiness is only made by me and no one else," Ezra said.

"How did you come to this epiphany?"  Peter asked.

"It was something Brandy explained.  She went through the same thing I'm going through right now.  Difference is my parents hid it from me, her's used her to get back at each other.  But she pointed out that I'm not defined by them. We are all responsible for our own happiness.  When she realized that, she knew she could start to heal."

"Yes, she is right."

"It was Sophie who helped her get to that point. I can't fix my parents, they need to fix themselves.  But it's okay if they fix themselves and remain apart," Ezra added.

They talked some more and Peter finally began to see that Ezra was looking forward to the future. He was making plans for himself, no matter what adult called themself his parent. This progress was long overdue.

Next was his session with Daisy.  She was much more quiet and sullen, than the previous sessions.  Peter wondered if the shift in Ezra's attention, effected Daisy much more than she wanted to admit. As much as they taught them how to handle life, everyone had to find their own way. This new feeling Daisy was going through, might be just the jolt she needed to break her shell.

While Peter was having his one on one with Daisy, the rest of the Cliff Hangers were doing homework.  As usual Chris sat down between Shelby and Scott to work on math.  She jumped when they both put a hand on her thigh.  She stuttered and blushed.  Her mind left the equation in front of her and focused on those hands.  A sexual shiver climbed from where their hands touched her all the way up her spine.

"Why... what are you guys doing?"  Chris whispered breathlessly.

"We've seen how you look at us.  Whom is it you want?" Scott asked.

Shelby waited to see if Chris would answer or get up and leave.  As fun as the teasing game was, they wouldn't let her bolt and avoid like usual.  She watched her friend's face.  You could see the inner struggle if you knew what to look for like she did.

"There is no wrong answer, I promise," Shelby encouraged.

Chris practically whispered her answer, taking a step into the unknown. "Both, but..."

"No buts allowed... well you know what I mean," Shelby said as Chris giggled nervously.  "When you and Scott go for your usual run, I'll come along.  Maybe we can explore this a little, would you like that?"

"Really, can we?  I mean, are you sure you both want to share?" Chris asked timidly.  "I don't want to wreck our friendships."

Scott answered, "you're not just anyone.  We both care about you and understand what you've been through.  If being with us in any way helps you find who you are, then just go with it."

Chris looked into Shelby's eyes, her heart screaming through them.  "I've never felt this for anyone, let alone two people. It excites me and scares me all at once."

Shelby nodded, "that's how I felt, when Scott and I truly connected.  When we both stopped hiding our feelings."

"Me too, when she didn't run after I told her about the demons that hunted me.  But facing that fear, is rewarding.  Just telling someone the truth of what you feel, that alone is amazing," Scott admitted and shared a loving look with his girlfriend.