CHAPTER #35

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Albert Einstein

CHAPTER #35

The true test of whether or not Scott was ready to leave Horrizon, would come on the day parental visitation happened for the whole group. That was the day that Scott would tell his father about the football scholarship he'd been given and which university he'd be going to. As Peter had always known, Scott was a born athlete and leader. He was proud of the boy's growth and that he'd also decided to work towards a coaching career, as a back up if his football career ended. Once again Scott had self confidence and even more than that, he was planning for his future and Shelby's. Yet even with all that on his plate, he didn't forget about Chris.

"When you think you are alone in the world and no one understands you, remember that Shelby and I do. When we get cell phones, we'll leave our number with Peter, so you can call at any time. And we'll come whenever you need us. But as you find yourself, you'll be the one to forget about us."

"I'll never forget about the Cliff Hangers... especially you guys. You saved my life... literally."

Shelby nodded, "and that means you're in debt to him and me and you can never give up again... ever. You need to live for yourself... but enough of this sappy shit."

"Hey am I chopped liver? I'm still here too Chris," Mark complained.

"Partners in the quest to graduate here," Chris high fived him.

Shelby couldn't help teasing, "if Mike visits he'll be jealous of Mark."

"Naw, he's not the jealous type. Peter did say he's coming for the parent meet up tomorrow," Chris advised.

"He's hot, you'll like him Mark, but he's straight right Chris?" Shelby asked.

"Yeah. But he's not homophobic at all."

Peter came over and said, "ready for a run Chris?"

"Always. You and Scott coming too?" She asked her friends.

Mark nodded, "yeah... running will clear my head to study for the math test on Tuesday."

"Ugh, you go Scott, I need to talk to Sophie about work."

"Sure, but I need to stretch first."

Chris rolled her eyes, "we all do. The only time I've ever done a cold sprint, was running from the cops."

Scott, Shelby and Mark all started laughing. Peter wasn't as impressed.

"Don't worry Peter, that's in the past... I'm ready, let's go."

As they ran, they talked about the upcoming Parent's Day. "Peter, what time did Mike say he's coming?"

"Mid morning. Since his other visits have had to be cut short, he wanted to spend all day here."

"Awesome. What about you Mark, who's coming to visit?"

"My brother, he's the only one who accepts who I am in our family. Probably because he's younger."

"At least you have real blood family coming.... I mean I guess I can forgive my parents and sister for their reactions. I didn't make it easy on them."

Mark snorted in disgust, "they abandoned you and worse. How can you forgive them?"

"Cause I need to release all the hate and pain. I can forgive them for failing me, but that doesn't mean I will forget."

Scott exchanged a look with Peter, who ran behind Mark and Chris, beside him. Scott said, "you're moving forward and that's most important."

Mark couldn't let it go so easily, his resentment for his own parents flowing out. "But how can you forgive them? I get you want to let go of the negative shit, but why should you forgive them? Shouldn't they be begging for your forgiveness?"