95 // Another Problem

Kyle Davids paced back and forth as he waited for the nurse to report back on Jorge. There was no way he could have been discharged, MJ would have told them.

And there was no way Jorge could have suddenly risen to his feet and run for the hills, Sasha was losing her mind.

He thought they were over this whole story about her father, but clearly not, and Logan had given her yet another reason to keep looking.

Jorge was a jerk, that was true, but he was not that devious.

Kyle's eyes shot up when he saw the nurse returning with company - the doctor, a few residents, and another nurse.

"Doctor, is everything okay? Did something happen to Jorge?" He asked.

Why had he not thought of that before? For all he knew, Jorge was in the morgue. The man was probably dead.

"Are you a family member?" The head doctor asked.

Not really. Kyle wanted to say, but he thought against it. "Yes, Doctor, he is my brother-in-law. I'm engaged to his sister," he said instead, laughing internally at his blunt lie.

"We are trying to get hold of Ms Billings, but her phone is off."

"Ah, yes! I tried to call her too, she's currently dealing with a family emergency abroad, she won't be available for some time.  Is there a problem, Doc?"

The doctor hesitated and then looked at his staff. "Mr..."

"Davids. Kyle Davids."

"Mr Davids, do you mind if we speak in my office?" The doctor asked grimly.

"Sure." Kyle followed the doctor to his office while the others returned to work. "Doc, what is this about?" He asked once they were settled in his office.

The doctor grimaced and cleared his throat. "Mr Davids, I'm afraid there's been a huge misunderstanding. Uhm... when I started my shift this morning and didn't find Mr Billings in his room, I thought perhaps he was in physio. But as it turns out, he is no longer at the hospital."

Kyle's face scrunched up in confusion. "I don't understand, did he discharge himself?"

The hesitation on the doctor's face was unnerving, every second, Kyle feared for the worst.

"It appears that there was another patient that was supposed to be airlifted to another hospital today. But somehow, there was a mistake and Mr Billings was taken instead."

Kyle slumped back in his seat and let out a huge rush of air through his mouth. "Doc, you had me worried there for a second, I thought he was dead or something!" He could not hide his relief. "So, what now, you can get him back, right? I'm sure the other hospital will realise that they have the wrong patient as soon as they land."

Doctor Motaung fiddled with his hands, avoiding eye contact. "Uhm..." He cleared his throat, and Kyle's relief diminished in an instant. "That's the thing, Mr Davids... we don't know how it happened. Some people arrived and told the receptionist that they were there to get a patient that was to be airlifted to Pretoria for a special surgery. The information was there in black and white and there was a record of it on the computer. But, we just checked again now, and there's nothing on our computers, the CCTV footage has been wiped out. We called all the hospitals in Pretoria to confirm the transfer, but none of them had a transfer scheduled for today."

Kyle shut his eyes. "Doctor Motaung, what are you telling me?" He asked in a low voice.

"We did not want to make noise by involving the police, but we suspect that Mr Billings might have been kidnapped."

He quickly sat up straight. "I'm sorry, say that again?"

The doctor gulped and gave him an apologetic look, but he could not voice out his previous revelation.

Kyle had lied about being MJ's fiance, in all honesty, he did not care what happened to Jorge, he only cared about MJ and how this was going to affect her. Again, he also lied when he told the doctor that he had tried to call her earlier, he did not want to bother her, but now, he wished she could have at least bothered to turn on her phone.

Her phone was off. He did not even know where to begin looking for her when he left the hospital. Amongst their troop, Cameron was the homebody, so Kyle checked him first and found out that MJ had just left the house. He thought she might be with Logan, but he could not reach him either.

"Of all times they could have their phones off, they chose today!" He grumbled as he took the decision to drive above speed limit as he raced against time to find MJ.

His stomach twisted when he pulled up outside Parker's Enterprises and saw Logan's car speeding away and MJ running out of the building. She looked ready to give up before she saw Kyle's car and she hurried to him.

He unlocked the car and she hopped in. "Kyle, thank goodness you are here!" She said breathlessly. "Please go after Logan." She buckled on.

She did not need to tell him twice, he stepped on it. He gave her a quick glance and noticed that she was a panicky mess, and he wondered if this was the right time to bring up his visit to the hospital. "What's going on?" He asked instead.

"I don't know, I just got here. I was on my way to his office, but he stormed out of there. He looked so furious and hurt... I don't know, something feels off, and I just can't put my finger on it."

Probably the fact that your stupid brother has gone missing. Kyle cringed at the thought.

"So, how is Sonya doing?"

MJ sighed, staring out the window. "She hasn't yet asked about Jorge. She just... shut off."

"Did she say anything about the mayor?"

"It was Samantha. Samantha killed him and tried to frame Sonya for the murder."

For some reason, he was not surprised, Samantha was capable of anything. At least Jackson had saved Sonya in time.

"So, do you think Zoe believes that Jackson killed Eric?" He asked after some time.

"That one... I found her interrogating Sonya. I don't know what would have happened if Cameron wasn't there. And someone sent her the footage of the doctor and Jorge. Now she is starting to connect the dots. But she is way too late. If she thought this was going to be her big break, then she is going to have to wait a little longer."

His mind drifted to Sasha for a second.

"Hey, Sash told me that you went to visit Jorge today." He said absentmindedly.

He wondered what Sasha was up to. As much as he would have loved to say "good riddance", he could not help but worry about her. She had been a pain on his ass for years, and now she had also managed to be someone of importance to him in a short span of time. He wanted her to find closure with regards to her parents' death, but he did not want her to pave a way to them.

He knew better and had never looked back from the day he was discharged from the hospital. He knew who was running the cartel, but he also knew they were not the only people, he never got close to finding out who the rest of them were, and he never wanted to. A part of him was glad to have put that behind him, but he was also glad it was over because he did not want to inadvertently put his family in danger. He wished he could share that with Sasha. If only she was not so hard-headed and would spare him a second and listen to what he had to say.

"I did," she said, but did not elaborate.

There were three cars between his and Logan's car, thankfully, he had slowed down a bit and was sticking to road rules. However, as the surroundings began to look familiar, Kyle realised where Logan was going to in such a rush, he was going to see Lolitta Leibrandt.

"Kyle?" She called out suddenly.

"Yes?"

"Can you pull up on the side?"

Not knowing whether to be relieved or concerned, Kyle pulled up anyway. "Are you okay?" He asked, unbuckling his seatbelt. "I thought you wanted to follow Logan."

She chuckled, shaking her head. "I did. But I remembered that he needs to be left alone to cool down. Besides, Logan is a big boy, he can take her of himself. I have much bigger problems to worry about."

Good thing then 'cause if you had followed Logan, you would have had more things to worry about. He thought.

"I cut ties with Jorge!" She blurted out. "And I feel shitty. I feel shitty because I still have to clean up his mess, I feel like shit because I am a coward! I looked him in the eye and reminded him of that day, and yet, I couldn't say it. I couldn't... I couldn't say it."

He thought about it for a minute, this had been going on for long enough, thirteen years. MJ has had more than enough time to confront Jorge, but she never did. Neither of them wanted to confront their past head-on. "Do you want to?" He asked. "I mean, you've already gone so long without ever confronting him. Have you ever thought, maybe he is not the one you need to confront?"

She shot him a look, neither offended nor threatening, and then she gave him a sad smile. "I wish I could do this more often."

Kyle snickered. "Do what? Stalk your boyfriend?"

"No. I... I hate the fact that I can talk to you about everything. You know things about me that I have never admitted even to my therapist. I wish I could tell Logan everything, but I know for sure that if I do, he will never look at me the same way."

"You don't know that."

"But I do. Some things are just inevitable. Look..." She twisted in her seat to face him. "I am sorry for disturbing your day, I'm sure you have a lot to do ahead of the gala tonight."

"Dammit!" He cussed under his breath. He had completely forgotten about his gala tonight, his parents had insisted on a formal celebration.

“I have somewhere else I need to be. I'll take a taxi from here.”

She did not wait to hear if he had anything to say, he was not comfortable with leaving her at some petrol station all by herself, but he did not protest either.

MJ was right, Logan could take care of himself, and so could she.

He started the car, and before he could slide back into the road, his phone rang, he answered and put it on speaker, and then drove back in the direction of the city.

“Sonya.”

Her breath vibrated on the speaker. “I need to see you, I’m leaving for Australia in three hours.”

His heart stopped beating for a second as he hesitated, this was another chapter he needed to close. “Sure thing. I’ll see you in a few.”