Part Forty-Four: Chapter 329: Watching You Watching Me

The Joker sat at his desk as Frost reluctantly walked in. Frost glances at an envelope in his hands. He knows what is inside, because he is the one who put it's contents there. He didn't want to give the envelope to the Joker. He knew it would only ruin the delightful mood he'd been in lately.

Frost clears his throat, "Boss," he says and outstretches his hand with the envelope out to the Joker.

The Joker stares at it for a moment. He already knew what would be inside that envelope too. And he knew it would change everything. The Joker reaches out to take the envelope.

 "She's with him, isn't she?" He swallows and opens the envelope

"She's with him, isn't she?" He swallows and opens the envelope. He pulls out a picture of Harley and Jason leaving out of the back entrance of the Gotham Hotel.

"Yes sir, you were right. She ran right to him," Frost sighs.

"What did you expect her to do when her private investigator gave her graphic pictures of Alexis and I? Of course she ran to Jason. He can give her everything I never could," he says dryly and rips the pictures in half.

Frost looks down, "Sir, I also have audio of them... in the hotel room... together. D-do you want..."

The Joker gives a smirk, "The voyeuristic masochist in me says yes, but my rational side says it's probably best if I don't." The Joker's eyes find Frost's, "They were intimate? Yes?"

Frost nods, "Yes sir."

The Joker just maintains his unblinking stare with Frost, "I don't know if I should kill them, or send them a gift. Heh-heh." The Joker nervously sweeps his hand over his head. He then places both palms flat on his desk top. "I'm happy for her. I am. Being married to me was certainly no picnic."

But then the facade began to crumble away, and the Joker attacks everything on his desk. Slinging. Crumpling. Breaking. The egotistical narcissist in him had wounded pride. His wife had left him, and run right into the arms of another. Someone who was intent on ending his life. The last remnants of an emotional human in him said that he deserved it. That he was just as guilty as Harley was.

But then, through the fog of all his anger and disparities, Alexis's face began to take shape. She wasn't like Harley. Not at all. And he loved her for that, because he never could decide if he loved Harley. But he did love Alexis. Completely.

The Joker ceases the assault on his desk and a smile comes to his face. "Johnny, everything is right where it belongs."

************************

Julia Paradise's POV

I always make it a point to investigate the people who hire me. I guess it was just some detective gene programmed into my DNA. Even as a child I had so many questions to ask about everything. As a teen, I read crime novels. I always figured out who the killer was before the book revealed it. What can I say, I have an overly analytical brain. And life is one big mystery to be solved.