CHAPTER EIGHT

pairing: enforcer!bucky barnes x fem!reader; mob boss!nick fowler x fem!reader

warnings?: pet name (sweetheart)

Peter was getting more nervous as the days wore on

Peter was getting more nervous as the days wore on. The wedding was inching closer and closer, the big day set for the end of the week. And that meant the plan was to be executed just as soon. In some ways, he was excited. Eager. He knew that, if all things went well, then Nick's reign of terror would soon end. And while he would still be performing much of the same jobs when Steve took over, he knew the man well enough to know that he wouldn't be forced to commit as many atrocities given Peter's role in ensuring the plan succeeded.

But he worried still about what may happen if things didn't go well.

"Fowler knows something's up," Peter said, crossing his arms over his chest as he looked at the men gathered in his living room. They were finalizing the minute details now. But the more that they spoke, the more Peter worried they weren't understanding the gravity of the situation. "We have to be careful."

Bucky and Steve looked his way, both arching a brow. Bucky asked, "But he doesn't know it's us."

"No. But he's suspicious. He knows a new syndicate is trying to boot him out. And he fears that the syndicate will do something to Y/N. It's not going to be as easy as you think it is to get her out." Peter looked at Bucky, and continued, "She's just now getting better. If we go about this the wrong way, Fowler's going to react strongly. He's going to take away all of her freedoms, and she's going to get bad again. You can't forget the reason we're doing this."

Bucky was on his feet in the blink of an eye. He grabbed Peter by the collar, lifting the much smaller man off the floor. "Watch it. You know I wouldn't ever do anything to hurt my sweetheart."

"It's doesn't matter if it's not intentional. If we do this wrong, she'll be the one who pays for. You and I both know that." Peter fought against Bucky's hold, but he couldn't match the man's strength. "Sam said she's fragile. We have to think about her before we do anything too rash."

"You should've thought of her before you reported all that shit to Fowler."

It was a low blow, and both men knew it. A warranted low blow, sure, but a low blow nonetheless. Bucky had given everything to Peter. He had gotten him another chance in life. He got him his job, he got him everything. And how did Peter repay that kindness? By ruining Bucky's life and chance at happiness.

"I'm sorry. But you know Fowler. You know what he would have done if he found out the truth."

"I thought we were friends. All you had to do was tell me of your assignment, and we would have figured something out just as we're doing now."

"I didn't know. I didn't think—"

"This plan has been in motion far longer than you know. You think it started when you saved me, but Steve and I have been working far longer to get Fowler out of the way. The plan may have changed since I met my sweetheart, but the plan has always been there. So don't you dare think you can come in here and think you can order us around like we don't know what the fuck we're doing."

"Buck, that's enough. The kid's heard your point loud and clear."

Bucky looked over at Steve, barring at his teeth as if he was ready to rip out Steve's throat. But, reluctantly, Bucky let go of Peter, letting the younger man crumple to the floor.

Steve stepped closer to Peter, towering over him. "Get up. We'll listen to what your ideas are, but you'll do well to remember who's in charge. Alright?"

Peter nodded, pushing himself off the floor. Slowly, the men returned to the couch, and Peter took his seat. "The wedding day," he whispered. "It's the best day to do it. Before Y/N arrives at the church. Take her away while she thinks she's going to the church, get her to safety. And then we...take Fowler out of the picture, once and for all."

Steve and Bucky gave each other a look, before nodding. It was decided.