CHAPTER NINE

pairing: enforcer!bucky barnes x fem!reader; mob boss!nick fowler x fem!reader

warnings?: major character death(s), suicide, fighting, drinking, pet name (sweetheart/topolina), not proofread

If Nick Fowler were to be described in a single word, nervous would be far, far removed from the word bank people would pull from

If Nick Fowler were to be described in a single word, nervous would be far, far removed from the word bank people would pull from. Nick Fowler was cool, calm, collected. He was suave. He oozed confidence. He knew what he wanted, and he always got it. But in the days since getting you, it seemed like that unfamiliar feeling was suddenly becoming his closest friend and ally. And that feeling had never been stronger than on the day of his wedding.

You had been so, so good for him lately. Though he had been reluctant to bring in a therapist, he had to admit he was wrong. It was doing you good, to talk about the feelings you weren't yet comfortable to talk to him about. It hurt, sure. All he wanted was for you to love him the way he loved you. For you to be his sweet, little topolina who would do anything to make him happy, just as he would do for you. Barnes had halted his plans to make you his, but now you seemed to finally be coming around to him.

You weren't all the way there, of course. You don't fight as much as you did before. You don't initiate any affection with him. But you didn't deny him as much, either. It was progress. Progress that he welcomed as much as he welcomed the changes you were making to the manor. If it meant that you would learn to be happy with him, he would let you do anything he wanted.

Which was why he let you to stay at a hotel the night before the big day. Something about how you wanted to be away from the general craziness and just get ready for your big day. He was sure it wasn't you idea, that perhaps Peter had whispered something to you, given that you hadn't ever brought it up before. But he owned a hotel in the area, and if it meant that you wouldn't be upset during the big day, Nick was more than happy to let you have your space on the promise that you would keep him updated.

And yet, you had done the one thing he told you not to do. You didn't keep him updated. You hadn't said a word to him after you reported that you were awake and you were waiting for your hair and makeup artist to arrive. You hadn't said a single word since. And every one of his men he spoke to said that they hadn't heard from you either.

You were testing him, and he didn't like that. Not one bit.

Especially now, as he stood at the altar, watching the doors, waiting for them to open. Nick was keenly aware of all the eyes on him. He knew everyone was expecting you. He was expecting you. And for you to be so late? It was humiliating.

You'd better have a damn good reason for being late, he thought to himself, trying to figure out what to do to quell the anxieties of the crowd.

Finally, he stepped forward, saying to the crowd of attendees, "It seems my topolina has gotten lost. Excuse me while I step out to call her driver."