𝐔𝐧𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐲 | 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

" 𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐬, 𝐠𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐱𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐞𝐬. 𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒅𝒊𝒅 𝑰 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆?" - 𝐂𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐌𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐥

(to give everyone a heads up the song is 'The Piano Duet' by Danny Elfman)

.·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·.

If there ever existed such a thing as a ball recklessly destroying one's nerves, it would be a great way of describing what was happening with Dawn. Her breathing had gone shallow as her hands trembled in the hold of her brother.

Steve's soft grip went unnoticed at the internal turmoil going in his little sisters head.

The hallway had become tremendously long, its walls seemingly stretching for miles, each rigid step she took just seemed to push her even farther from the shiny marble staircase.

For the love of everything holy, she couldn't understand why she was so nervous, perhaps her scheming might come to an end, perhaps this is truly all her life has to offer, be married off to a man who she despises. Stuck in an endless loop of duties, just to bring happiness to her family, but what would become of her happiness?

Her steps faltered, even taking her by surprise, Dawn never made mistakes, she was usually so poise and well calculated, at least when walking. She has been trained her entire life for this, walk like a lady, talk like a lady, sing like a lady, and yet here she was not even meters in that man's presences and she's already stumbling. 

Her eyes strained at the multiplying stairs, she didn't remember them being this tall, or there ever being that many. Her first few steps down felt as stepping into a pile of soft custard, the stairs seemed to be swallowing her heels with every soft click.

She tightened her grip on Steve's arm as she stopped halfway down the stairs, her ears ringing at the laughter of Winnifred and her mother as well as the soft chatter of George and her father. She didn't want to go down, she had lived in a safety bubble for years and now James was about to pop it.

Steve looked down at Dawn,  confusion written on his face at her stopping. "What's the matter?" He's once confused stare quickly turned into a worrisome one at the sight of Dawn's face, her once already pale complexion had turned a blueish hue. 

Consumed by a brotherly feeling to protect his little sister Steve took both of Dawns hands in his, keeping her body upright, he moved so he could be standing in front of her vulnerable state, shielding her so if someone decided to come towards the stairs they wouldn't be able to see her.

"I," Her eyes met with Steve's, yet she couldn't maintaining eye contact for much, her eyelids were heavy, her blue eyes unable to focus.

 " I don't know, it seems—," The air in her lungs seemed scarce, unable to fill her lungs properly she let go of her brothers hands, her own hand reaching down to hold her chest, she could feel the floor beneath her swaying.

 "I can't breathe properly." Dawn fawned herself with her hand, only managing to push warm air to her face, she could see little white stars dancing across her vision as well as little black colored specks slowly taking over it. 

 Attempting to breath deeply, her legs gave out from under her, landing harshly on the staircase, the ringing pain flowing through her body seemed to keep her awake, her eyes scanned the room, it was spinning all around her, Steve's voice seemed so far away yet her parents laugh  was right in her ears, growing stronger and stronger as  each second pass by.